    Any ideas?

    John
    --

    john, May 25, 2009

  2. john

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Neither the TCP Receive Window nor anything else can increase your
    download speed, which is set and regulated by your ISP.

    To learn about the TCP Receive Window, use it as a search term in the
    search engine of your choice.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    Leonard Grey, May 25, 2009

  3. john

    Gerry Guest

    John

    I think Leonard has given you the answer. Choosing to download at a less
    popular time of the day / night might help!

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, May 25, 2009
  4. "john" <> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been trying to determine what buffer setting I should use to increase
    > download speed.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > John
    > --

    Go to www.speedtest.com

    Follow the simple on screen instructions - Look at the test result - Is it
    anywhere close to the download speed for which you are paying?

    How do you connect to the Internet? Direct to a DSL/Cable modem or through a
    router? To find out if a router is causing the slowness (and older models
    can do this), connect your computer directly to the modem and run the test
    again.. If the test result is the same, your router is OK..

    If no change is noted after having done the above, try this..

    To change your TCP Receive Window size:

    Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
    Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
    Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file
    name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To
    restore your old registry you simply import this file.
    Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go
    to the directory
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
    Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
    Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.
    Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
    Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.
    For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open
    applications and reboot your system.

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/