    operating system files but havn't been able to find out how to fix it. I run
    Windows XP Pro with SP2. Any helpful information would be much appreciated,
    thanks.

    Guest, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Hi Ratmuffin,

    "MTCDIO" service is not a standard Windows XP service. In this case, the DLL
    which implements the service seems to be missing. To remove the orphaned
    service entry, open Regedit and navigate to:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Service name>

    Backup the registry before deleting an entry, especially when modifying a
    service entry.

    Complete registry backup using "ERUNT":
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

    Silent Runners - Installing & Using ERUNT:
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Feb 4, 2005

    Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    Thanks, I'll try that. By the way, will anything be wrong with my system
    while it remains on there?

    Guest, Feb 4, 2005

    Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    And, one more thing. I've never deleted a Registry entry before. Do i simply
    delete the whole folder named MTCDIO or is there something else I need to do.
    Thanks again.

    Guest, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    >> Do i simply delete the whole folder named MTCDIO

    Yes, if that entry exists under the registry branch that I stated earlier.
    Before that be sure to have a complete registry backup, in case.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    It may cause startup delay, as XP tries to load the service and fails,
    everytime.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Feb 4, 2005

    Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    The MTCDIO Service - what is the service and why is it on my computer? Should
    it be working?

    Guest, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    I have no idea which application MTCDIO is related to, but it's not a XP
    default service. For more information on that particular service,
    double-click the Service entry (if listed in Services.msc) and note down the
    Image path. That filename may give you a clue.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Feb 5, 2005

    Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    The image path for the MTCDIO entry is
    System32\DRIVERS\MTCDIO.sys

    By doing a search of the computer, I also came up with MTCDIO files under
    the folder
    C:\DRV\OTHER

    Looking at the description of some of the files I've found in the
    \System32\Folder I've discovered that:
    "MTCDIO.sys" is a Port Function Driver
    "MTCDIO.dll" is an IO Function DLL
    "unMTCDIO.exe" is a "Wireless (FNF1) uninstallation"
    "ICON.exe" is an "Icon Application for Wireless" - this icon also shows in
    the system tray as a "Wireless LAN Connection Indicator"

    I hope this sheds some light on what the MTCDIO service is. Thanks again.

    Guest, Feb 6, 2005
  10. Re: Service Control Manager - The MTCDIO service failed to start..

    Thanks for the feedback!

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User