Server upgrade soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The site just keeps growing, and the current server is at its limits in just 8 months! The current 2.4 Ghz server is possibly going to be replaced with a dual 2.8Ghz Xeon server - so it should be incredibly fast once the upgrade takes place.

I'm getting quotes at the moment from the same host, so downtime would be around 10 mins (I'd do it late at night) and won't be for another few weeks I assume.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Great news Ian.

Is good to be part of a expanding community. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Great work Ian but how do you finance these upgrades, it must be costing you a fortune, or is daddy financing it, or you have an organisation or sponsor who are very supportive.

Couldn't get me one could you.:p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Great work Ian but how do you finance these upgrades, it must be costing you a fortune, or is daddy financing it, or you have an organisation or sponsor who are very supportive.

Couldn't get me one could you.:p

The ads on the site all go to funding the server and license fees for the scripts - its only been recently enough to cover a dedicated server, but luckily we've got a couple of good sponsors at the moment so an upgrade is a good possibility. A game server is another possibility if things continue.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Server has been playing up this last 30 mins, I've spotted the problem and will fix it tonight - as it may need a few mins downtime.

Reaction score
I noticed that aswell Ian. VERY slow load up times for me ...

And just now an error when trying to get on the home page ...

Hope you fix it ! :) Good luck lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have taken the plunge and I am ordering one of the new servers today - Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon with 2000GB bandwidth :eek: thats insane!

Reaction score
Wooo !!! Go u ! lol

When does it arrive ?! And will be up and running ?!

Can't wait ! :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It should be around this weekend I think - shouldn't take too long to configure, as I can copy everything across easily enough :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I have taken the plunge and I am ordering one of the new servers today - Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon with 2000GB bandwidth :eek: thats insane!
... aint we all.

;)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
excellent news. I think we are all looking forward to seeing the difference!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
Wow does the site really need that much bandwidth?

Not really but all of the bits and bobs on the site take up loads of CPU resources - the bandwidth just came with the package :) Means that some downloads can be hosted though :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Server ordered and should be online this weekend :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Absoluteley superb Ian, it will be like woooooaaahhhh.....:thumb: you can never have enough bandwidth and resources, because you'll always find things to put on.

It's like the old saying goes-the more you earn the more you spend...

Can't wait though Ian...:D

Reaction score
Will it be fast enough to take advantage of my 2mb connection? Ive noticed the site as it is isn't very fast even with a very fast connection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question