    firewall do not fix this.

    Advice?

    ms

    ms, Jul 7, 2010

  2. ms

    Greg Russell Guest

    In news:,
    ms <> typed:
    > My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
    > programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so
    > I went back to a older registry and rebooted.
    >
    > Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial
    > up to my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address
    > give the message:
    > server not found.
    >
    > Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file.
    > Disabling the firewall do not fix this.
    >
    > Advice?

    Are we supposed to play guessing games about which firewall you're using?

    Greg Russell, Jul 8, 2010

  3. ms

    none Guest

    That error can be caused by a multitude of issues. From your description
    it's obvious the registry got hosed. Question is why? Thus some questions;

    Did your PC experience a crash prior to noticing the firewall missing?
    Before loosing the firewall did it shutdown properly?
    Did you have internet access even WITHOUT the firewall?
    Does the local network work?
    Have you tried disabling the firewall?
    Have checked for malware, viruses etc?
    Is your network wired or wireless?
    etc. etc. etc.

    one can go one and on with questions so it seems we will need much more of
    the details from you!

    none, Jul 8, 2010
  4. ms wrote:
    > My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
    > programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so I went
    > back to a older registry and rebooted.
    >
    > Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial up to
    > my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address give the
    > message:
    > server not found.
    >
    > Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file. Disabling the
    > firewall do not fix this.
    >
    > Advice?

    Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server, most
    ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
    automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS server
    address. See here for more help:
    http://www.support.psi.com/support/common/inet-serv/tcpip/2000/win2k_tcpip.html#dns

    John

    John John -MVP, Jul 8, 2010
  5. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
    >> programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so
    >> I went back to a older registry and rebooted.
    >>
    >> Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial
    >> up to my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address
    >> give the message:
    >> server not found.
    >>
    >> Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file.
    >> Disabling the firewall do not fix this.
    >>
    >> Advice?

    > Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server,
    > most ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
    > automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS server
    > address. See here for more help:
    > http://www.support.psi.com/support/common/inet-serv/tcpip/2000/win2k_tc
    > pip.html#dns
    >
    > John

    Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
    settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

    The other post listed many issues, but in this case the only change was an
    older registry- yet, that can have a lot of possibilities.

    I'm glad you answered, I have not been back here in 6 months, and there
    seemed to be very little activity when I posted.

    ms

    ms, Jul 9, 2010
  6. ms wrote:
    > John John -MVP <> wrote in
    >
    >> ms wrote:
    >>> My firewall takes a good bit of setting up to allow for my various
    >>> programs. One day, I noticed the firewall was not in System Tray, so
    >>> I went back to a older registry and rebooted.
    >>>
    >>> Since that time, the firewall is back to normal, and I can still dial
    >>> up to my ISP server, but my browser and newsreader at any address
    >>> give the message:
    >>> server not found.
    >>>
    >>> Reboots do not fix this. I have never touched the host file.
    >>> Disabling the firewall do not fix this.
    >>>
    >>> Advice?

    >> Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server,
    >> most ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
    >> automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS server
    >> address. See here for more help:
    >> http://www.support.psi.com/support/common/inet-serv/tcpip/2000/win2k_tc
    >> pip.html#dns
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
    > settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

    You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup command
    can also be quite useful.

    > The other post listed many issues, but in this case the only change was an
    > older registry- yet, that can have a lot of possibilities.

    I didn't say anything about that but reverting to an old registry file
    is seldom a very good idea. Using anything older than a week or two is
    usually more trouble than anything else!

    > I'm glad you answered, I have not been back here in 6 months, and there
    > seemed to be very little activity when I posted.

    Microsoft is closing their NNTP servers, they're abandoning newsgroups
    in favour of web forums, by this fall their servers will be gone. This
    group was closed at the beginning of June (on their server) and many of
    the regulars who were posting via the MS server have left when the group
    closed. I have set an account on another (non MS) newsgroups server to
    keep an eye on the groups that still interest me, but without traffic
    from the MS server the groups may just wither and die...

    John

    John John -MVP, Jul 9, 2010
  7. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> Make sure that TCP/IP is correctly configured for your DNS server,
    >>> most ISPs will have you set this to "Obtain DNS server address
    >>> automatically", if not your ISP will provide you with their DNS
    >>> server address. See here for more help:
    >>> http://www.support.psi.com/support/common/inet-serv/tcpip/2000/win2k_
    >>> tc pip.html#dns
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
    >> settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

    I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.

    I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems to
    primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set up
    before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as before, run Fx
    browser, but on any site, get the error "server does not find Google, etc".

    Am I missing something in that article?

    > You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup
    > command can also be quite useful.

    ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I expected.

    ipconfig/all: can't find ipconfig ??

    >> The other post listed many issues, but in this case the only change
    >> was an older registry- yet, that can have a lot of possibilities.

    > I didn't say anything about that but reverting to an old registry file
    > is seldom a very good idea. Using anything older than a week or two
    > is usually more trouble than anything else!
    >

    >> I'm glad you answered, I have not been back here in 6 months, and
    >> there seemed to be very little activity when I posted.

    > Microsoft is closing their NNTP servers, they're abandoning newsgroups
    > in favour of web forums, by this fall their servers will be gone.
    > This group was closed at the beginning of June (on their server) and
    > many of the regulars who were posting via the MS server have left when
    > the group closed. I have set an account on another (non MS)
    > newsgroups server to keep an eye on the groups that still interest me,
    > but without traffic from the MS server the groups may just wither and
    > die...
    >
    > John

    Your last comment was a surprise, as I haven't looked at a newsgroup for 6
    months. I did some browsing today, and the times are changing. In the past,
    I remember the excellent help I got from you, Dave Patrick, Buffalo,
    Pegasus, Ben, and others. I guess that's all history now. Some of us
    ordinary mortals will be scrambling from now on.

    I will look back later today, and try to browse the rest of the newsgroup
    before it goes.

    ms

    ms, Jul 9, 2010
  8. ms wrote:
    > John John -MVP <> wrote in
    >
    >> ms wrote:
    >>> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> Thanks, John, a good link, bookmarked it. I will check the W2K TCP/IP
    >>> settings. If it changed, that's interesting.

    > I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.
    >
    > I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems to
    > primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set up
    > before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as before, run Fx
    > browser, but on any site, get the error "server does not find Google, etc".
    >
    > Am I missing something in that article?
    >> You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup
    >> command can also be quite useful.
    >>

    > ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I expected.

    That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the local
    host. The nslookup command should point to either your router (if you
    use one, which I don't think that you are using) or it should point to a
    valid DNS server address. Your modem will still work and you will still
    be able to establish a connection to your ISP but you are getting these
    "Server not found" errors because there is no DNS server to provide
    Domain Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS server
    address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for their DNS
    server address. Or try a free public DNS server like Open DNS or
    vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.

    Open DNS server addresses:

    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

    Google DNS server addresses:

    8.8.8.8
    8.8.4.4

    vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net DNS addresses:

    4.2.2.1
    4.2.2.2
    4.2.2.3
    4.2.2.4
    4.2.2.5
    4.2.2.6

    Note that your ISP's DNS server is usually the one nearest to you and
    the fastest one available... but not always, sometimes folks get faster
    Domain Name resolution when they try a different DNS server than the one
    provided by the ISP.

    > ipconfig/all: can't find ipconfig ??

    You ran ipconfig /all while you were using nslookup in interactive mode,
    for lack of a better explanation you were inside the nslookup console
    and not at the Command prompt as such. To exit the nslookup interactive
    mode you have to type EXIT at the prompt, this returns you to the
    Command Prompt proper. Start a new command session and try the ipconfig
    /all command again while at C:\> prompt.

    John

    John John -MVP, Jul 10, 2010
  9. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >> I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.
    >>
    >> I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems
    >> to primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set
    >> up before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as
    >> before, run Fx browser, but on any site, get the error "server does
    >> not find Google, etc".
    >>
    >> Am I missing something in that article?
    >>> You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup
    >>> command can also be quite useful.
    >>>

    >> ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I
    >> expected.

    > That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the local
    > host. The nslookup command should point to either your router (if you
    > use one, which I don't think that you are using) or it should point to
    > a valid DNS server address. Your modem will still work and you will
    > still be able to establish a connection to your ISP but you are
    > getting these "Server not found" errors because there is no DNS server
    > to provide Domain Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS
    > server address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for
    > their DNS server address. Or try a free public DNS server like Open
    > DNS or vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.
    >
    > Open DNS server addresses:
    >
    > 208.67.222.222
    > 208.67.220.220
    >
    > Google DNS server addresses:
    >
    > 8.8.8.8
    > 8.8.4.4
    >
    > vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net DNS addresses:
    >
    > 4.2.2.1
    > 4.2.2.2
    > 4.2.2.3
    > 4.2.2.4
    > 4.2.2.5
    > 4.2.2.6
    >
    > Note that your ISP's DNS server is usually the one nearest to you and
    > the fastest one available... but not always, sometimes folks get
    > faster Domain Name resolution when they try a different DNS server
    > than the one provided by the ISP.
    >

    >> ipconfig/all: can't find ipconfig ??

    > You ran ipconfig /all while you were using nslookup in interactive
    > mode, for lack of a better explanation you were inside the nslookup
    > console and not at the Command prompt as such. To exit the nslookup
    > interactive mode you have to type EXIT at the prompt, this returns you
    > to the Command Prompt proper. Start a new command session and try the
    > ipconfig /all command again while at C:\> prompt.
    >
    > John

    Thanks and I will do the above tomorrow, everything is slower at my age.

    This may be the last conversation I have with an expert, the way things are
    going. If I may, a new subject.

    Not W2K or even OS-related. I have a used XP machine, the CD drive only
    reads audio CD's. It will not read my data CDs. It works OK for an audio
    CD, but thats all. Its a Sony drive, AFAIK they never need unique driver
    files, the OS default drivers usually work.

    Any comment on this?

    ms

    ms, Jul 10, 2010
  10. ms wrote:
> [...]

    >> mode, for lack of a better explanation you were inside the nslookup
    >> console and not at the Command prompt as such. To exit the nslookup
    >> interactive mode you have to type EXIT at the prompt, this returns you
    >> to the Command Prompt proper. Start a new command session and try the
    >> ipconfig /all command again while at C:\> prompt.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > Thanks and I will do the above tomorrow, everything is slower at my age.
    >
    > This may be the last conversation I have with an expert, the way things are
    > going. If I may, a new subject.
    >
    > Not W2K or even OS-related. I have a used XP machine, the CD drive only
    > reads audio CD's. It will not read my data CDs. It works OK for an audio
    > CD, but thats all. Its a Sony drive, AFAIK they never need unique driver
    > files, the OS default drivers usually work.

    Can the CDs be read in another machine? Were you ever able to read the
    CDs in the Sony drive? Were the CDs written on the machine in question?
    Were the CDs written with packet writting software, drag and drop
    software like Nero's In-CD or Roxio's Direct CD or

    John John -MVP, Jul 10, 2010
  11. John John -MVP wrote:
    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the
    >>> local host. The nslookup command should point to either your
    >>> router (if you use one, which I don't think that you are using)
    >>> or it should point to a valid DNS server address. Your modem
    >>> will still work and you will still be able to establish a
    >>> connection to your ISP but you are getting these "Server not
    >>> found" errors because there is no DNS server to provide Domain
    >>> Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS server
    >>> address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for
    >>> their DNS server address. Or try a free public DNS server like
    >>> Open DNS or vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.
    >>>
    >>> Open DNS server addresses:
    >>>
    >>> 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
    >>>
    >>> Google DNS server addresses:
    >>>
    >>> 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
    >>>
    >>> vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net DNS addresses:
    >>>
    >>> 4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 4.2.2.4 4.2.2.5 4.2.2.6
    >>>
    >>> Note that your ISP's DNS server is usually the one nearest to you
    >>> and the fastest one available... but not always, sometimes folks
    >>> get faster Domain Name resolution when they try a different DNS
    >>> server than the one provided by the ISP.

    >>> You ran ipconfig /all while you were using nslookup in
    >>> interactive mode, for lack of a better explanation you were
    >>> inside the nslookup console and not at the Command prompt as
    >>> such. To exit the nslookup interactive mode you have to type
    >>> EXIT at the prompt, this returns you to the Command Prompt
    >>> proper. Start a new command session and try the ipconfig /all
    >>> command again while at C:\> prompt.
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> Thanks and I will do the above tomorrow, everything is slower at my
    >> age.
    >>
    >> This may be the last conversation I have with an expert, the way
    >> things are going. If I may, a new subject.
    >>
    >> Not W2K or even OS-related. I have a used XP machine, the CD drive
    >> only reads audio CD's. It will not read my data CDs. It works OK
    >> for an audio CD, but thats all. Its a Sony drive, AFAIK they never
    >> need unique driver files, the OS default drivers usually work.
    >>
    >> Any comment on this?

    (Oops... hit send too fast...)

    Can the CDs be read in another machine?

    Were you ever able to read the CDs in the Sony drive?

    Were the CDs written on the machine in question?

    Were the CDs written with packet writting software, drag and drop
    software like Nero's In-CD or Roxio's Direct CD or Drag-to-Disc?

    John

    John John -MVP, Jul 10, 2010
  12. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > John John -MVP wrote:
    >>>
    >>> This may be the last conversation I have with an expert, the way
    >>> things are going. If I may, a new subject.
    >>>
    >>> Not W2K or even OS-related. I have a used XP machine, the CD drive
    >>> only reads audio CD's. It will not read my data CDs. It works OK
    >>> for an audio CD, but thats all. Its a Sony drive, AFAIK they never
    >>> need unique driver files, the OS default drivers usually work.
    >>>
    >>> Any comment on this?

    > (Oops... hit send too fast...)
    >
    > Can the CDs be read in another machine?

    Yes, were created in another W2K machine, they can be read by W98 and my
    other XP machine.

    > Were you ever able to read the CDs in the Sony drive?

    No, this came from a retired, newby couple, doubt they did it, but I doubt
    HP built the machine that way.

    > Were the CDs written on the machine in question?

    No, on either my W2K or W98 machines, the CD's normally are
    interchangeable.

    > Were the CDs written with packet writting software, drag and drop
    > software like Nero's In-CD or Roxio's Direct CD or Drag-to-Disc?

    No I use EasyIso, very reliable, from Dirk Pahel.

    I ran a utility that verified the drive will only read/write audio files.
    And all the CD's I write are saving utility and data files, even a few jpg
    files.

    I never tried an audio CD in this machine because I'm not hooked with
    speakers in this setup. Even if it does play audio CD's, it's no help, I
    use data CD's to keep files updated between computers.

    I've never seen this issue on another computer.

    ms

    ms, Jul 10, 2010
  13. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >> I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.
    >>
    >> I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems
    >> to primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set
    >> up before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as
    >> before, run Fx browser, but on any site, get the error "server does
    >> not find Google, etc".
    >>
    >> Am I missing something in that article?
    >>> You can also use ipconfig /all for information and the nslookup
    >>> command can also be quite useful.
    >>>

    >> ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I
    >> expected.

    > That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the local
    > host. The nslookup command should point to either your router (if you
    > use one, which I don't think that you are using) or it should point to
    > a valid DNS server address. Your modem will still work and you will
    > still be able to establish a connection to your ISP but you are
    > getting these "Server not found" errors because there is no DNS server
    > to provide Domain Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS
    > server address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for
    > their DNS server address. Or try a free public DNS server like Open
    > DNS or vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.

    I ran ipconfig/all:

    Host name: XXXX my computer data

    Primary DNS Suffix: blank

    Node Type: Broadcast

    IP Routing Enabled: No ??

    Winproxy Enabled: No ??

    Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)

    My DUN settings:

    Internet protocol TCP/IP properties

    Obtain DNS server address automatically- was selected

    Obtain IP address automatically- was selected

    Since it was not working, contacted my ISP, got their DNS address

    Added that address, rebooted, still get "server not found".

    ??

    ms

    ms, Jul 10, 2010
  14. ms wrote:
    > John John -MVP <> wrote in
    >
    >> ms wrote:
    >>> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> I disabled the firewall to be sure that is not causing the problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have dialup. I read through the data from that link, and it seems
    >>> to primarily be how to first setup TCP/IP. In my case, it was all set
    >>> up before, now it still dials up normally, normal connection as
    >>> before, run Fx browser, but on any site, get the error "server does
    >>> not find Google, etc".
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something in that article?
    >>>>
    >>> ns lookup: default server unknown, address 127.0.0.1 which I
    >>> expected.

    >> That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the local
    >> host. The nslookup command should point to either your router (if you
    >> use one, which I don't think that you are using) or it should point to
    >> a valid DNS server address. Your modem will still work and you will
    >> still be able to establish a connection to your ISP but you are
    >> getting these "Server not found" errors because there is no DNS server
    >> to provide Domain Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS
    >> server address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for
    >> their DNS server address. Or try a free public DNS server like Open
    >> DNS or vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.
    >>

    > I ran ipconfig/all:
    >
    > Host name: XXXX my computer data
    >
    > Primary DNS Suffix: blank
    >
    > Node Type: Broadcast
    >
    > IP Routing Enabled: No ??
    >
    > Winproxy Enabled: No ??
    >
    > Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)
    >
    > My DUN settings:
    >
    > Internet protocol TCP/IP properties
    >
    > Obtain DNS server address automatically- was selected
    >
    > Obtain IP address automatically- was selected
    >
    > Since it was not working, contacted my ISP, got their DNS address
    >
    > Added that address, rebooted, still get "server not found".

    So you set DNS on the DUN connection like shown here:
    http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/dns.shtml ?

    You say you can make a connection to your ISP? Please establish a
    connection then run the ipconfig /all command and post the unedited
    results or the command.

    John

    John John -MVP, Jul 11, 2010
  15. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> That is your problem, your TCP/IP DNS setting is pointing to the local
    >>> host. The nslookup command should point to either your router (if you
    >>> use one, which I don't think that you are using) or it should point to
    >>> a valid DNS server address. Your modem will still work and you will
    >>> still be able to establish a connection to your ISP but you are
    >>> getting these "Server not found" errors because there is no DNS server
    >>> to provide Domain Name resolution. Set the DNS setting to "Obtain DNS
    >>> server address automatically", if that doesn't work ask your ISP for
    >>> their DNS server address. Or try a free public DNS server like Open
    >>> DNS or vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net or even the Google DNS server.
    >>>

    >> I ran ipconfig/all:
    >>
    >> Host name: XXXX my computer data
    >>
    >> Primary DNS Suffix: blank
    >>
    >> Node Type: Broadcast
    >>
    >> IP Routing Enabled: No ??
    >>
    >> Winproxy Enabled: No ??
    >>
    >> Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)
    >>
    >> My DUN settings:
    >>
    >> Internet protocol TCP/IP properties
    >>
    >> Obtain DNS server address automatically- was selected
    >>
    >> Obtain IP address automatically- was selected
    >>
    >> Since it was not working, contacted my ISP, got their DNS address
    >>
    >> Added that address, rebooted, still get "server not found".

    > So you set DNS on the DUN connection like shown here:
    > http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/dns.shtml ?
    >
    > You say you can make a connection to your ISP? Please establish a
    > connection then run the ipconfig /all command and post the unedited
    > results or the command.
    >
    > John

    When online, browser looking at a website, screen "server not found":

    Host name: XXXX my computer data
    Primary DNS Suffix: blank
    Node Type: Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    Winproxy Enabled: No >
    Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)

    Connection Specific- DNS Suffix
    Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
    DHCP Enabled: No
    IP Address: 4.255.44.193
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway: 4.255.44.193
    DNS Servers: 67.211.172.29
    67.211.172.30
    Netbios over TCP/IP: disabled

    Yesterday, I added my ISP server address, don't see it above.

    How to copy what I see in the command screen to clipboard?

    ms

    ms, Jul 11, 2010
  16. ms wrote:
    > John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >> (Oops... hit send too fast...)
    >>
    >> Can the CDs be read in another machine?

    > Yes, were created in another W2K machine, they can be read by W98 and my
    > other XP machine.
    >
    >> Were you ever able to read the CDs in the Sony drive?

    > No, this came from a retired, newby couple, doubt they did it, but I doubt
    > HP built the machine that way.
    >> Were the CDs written on the machine in question?
    >>

    > No, on either my W2K or W98 machines, the CD's normally are
    > interchangeable.
    >
    >> Were the CDs written with packet writting software, drag and drop
    >> software like Nero's In-CD or Roxio's Direct CD or Drag-to-Disc?
    >>

    > No I use EasyIso, very reliable, from Dirk Pahel.
    >
    > I ran a utility that verified the drive will only read/write audio files.
    > And all the CD's I write are saving utility and data files, even a few jpg
    > files.
    >
    > I never tried an audio CD in this machine because I'm not hooked with
    > speakers in this setup. Even if it does play audio CD's, it's no help, I
    > use data CD's to keep files updated between computers.
    >
    > I've never seen this issue on another computer.

    I would swap the drive with another known good one and see what happens.

    John

    John John -MVP, Jul 13, 2010
  17. ms wrote:
    > John John -MVP <> wrote in
    >
    >> ms wrote:
    >>> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> I ran ipconfig/all:
    >>>
    >>> Host name: XXXX my computer data
    >>>
    >>> Primary DNS Suffix: blank
    >>>
    >>> Node Type: Broadcast
    >>>
    >>> IP Routing Enabled: No ??
    >>>
    >>> Winproxy Enabled: No ??
    >>>
    >>> Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)
    >>>
    >>> My DUN settings:
    >>>
    >>> Internet protocol TCP/IP properties
    >>>
    >>> Obtain DNS server address automatically- was selected
    >>>
    >>> Obtain IP address automatically- was selected
    >>>
    >>> Since it was not working, contacted my ISP, got their DNS address
    >>>
    >>> Added that address, rebooted, still get "server not found".

    >> So you set DNS on the DUN connection like shown here:
    >> http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/dns.shtml ?
    >>
    >> You say you can make a connection to your ISP? Please establish a
    >> connection then run the ipconfig /all command and post the unedited
    >> results or the command.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > When online, browser looking at a website, screen "server not found":
    >
    > Host name: XXXX my computer data
    > Primary DNS Suffix: blank
    > Node Type: Broadcast
    > IP Routing Enabled: No
    > Winproxy Enabled: No >
    > Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)
    >
    > Connection Specific- DNS Suffix
    > Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
    > DHCP Enabled: No
    > IP Address: 4.255.44.193
    > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    > Default Gateway: 4.255.44.193
    > DNS Servers: 67.211.172.29
    > 67.211.172.30
    > Netbios over TCP/IP: disabled
    >
    > Yesterday, I added my ISP server address, don't see it above.

    Where does the

    DNS Servers: 67.211.172.29
    67.211.172.30

    come from? This should be the DNS server address from your ISP, you set
    this in the Dial Up Connection's Properties.

    Make sure that the DHCP Client service is set to Automatic startup type.
    To access the Services Management Console enter services.msc in the
    Start Menu Run box.

    Also check Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings and make sure
    it is not set up to use a proxy server.

    > How to copy what I see in the command screen to clipboard?

    Enable Quick Edit, you can then select the text in the command console
    with your left mouse button, and then right-click to copy to the
    clipboard. To paste, either at the console or in a text file, right-click.

    http://commandwindows.com/configure.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...docs/en-us/commandpromptoptions.mspx?mfr=true

    You can also redirect the output of commands to a text file with the use
    of redirectors, example:

    ipconfig /all >c:\test.txt

    use double redirectors (>>) to append to a file:

    ipconfig /all >>c:\test.txt

    John

    John John -MVP, Jul 13, 2010
  18. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> (Oops... hit send too fast...)
    >>>
    >>> Can the CDs be read in another machine?

    >> Yes, were created in another W2K machine, they can be read by W98 and
    >> my other XP machine.
    >>
    >>> Were you ever able to read the CDs in the Sony drive?

    >> No, this came from a retired, newby couple, doubt they did it, but I
    >> doubt HP built the machine that way.
    >>> Were the CDs written on the machine in question?
    >>>

    >> No, on either my W2K or W98 machines, the CD's normally are
    >> interchangeable.
    >>
    >>> Were the CDs written with packet writting software, drag and drop
    >>> software like Nero's In-CD or Roxio's Direct CD or Drag-to-Disc?
    >>>

    >> No I use EasyIso, very reliable, from Dirk Pahel.
    >>
    >> I ran a utility that verified the drive will only read/write audio
    >> files. And all the CD's I write are saving utility and data files,
    >> even a few jpg files.
    >>
    >> I never tried an audio CD in this machine because I'm not hooked with
    >> speakers in this setup. Even if it does play audio CD's, it's no
    >> help, I use data CD's to keep files updated between computers.
    >>
    >> I've never seen this issue on another computer.

    > I would swap the drive with another known good one and see what
    > happens.
    >
    > John

    Thanks much for the help. This AM the machine did not boot normally, so
    there are other issues. For me, nothing is as reliable as W98SE, it just
    works.

    ms

    ms, Jul 15, 2010
  19. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> So you set DNS on the DUN connection like shown here:
    >>> http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/dns.shtml ?
    >>>
    >>> You say you can make a connection to your ISP? Please establish a
    >>> connection then run the ipconfig /all command and post the unedited
    >>> results or the command.
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> When online, browser looking at a website, screen "server not found":
    >>
    >> Host name: XXXX my computer data
    >> Primary DNS Suffix: blank
    >> Node Type: Broadcast
    >> IP Routing Enabled: No
    >> Winproxy Enabled: No >
    >> Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)
    >>
    >> Connection Specific- DNS Suffix
    >> Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
    >> DHCP Enabled: No
    >> IP Address: 4.255.44.193
    >> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    >> Default Gateway: 4.255.44.193
    >> DNS Servers: 67.211.172.29
    >> 67.211.172.30
    >> Netbios over TCP/IP: disabled
    >>
    >> Yesterday, I added my ISP server address, don't see it above.

    > Where does the
    >
    > DNS Servers: 67.211.172.29
    > 67.211.172.30
    >
    > come from? This should be the DNS server address from your ISP, you
    > set this in the Dial Up Connection's Properties.
    >
    > Make sure that the DHCP Client service is set to Automatic startup
    > type.
    > To access the Services Management Console enter services.msc in the
    > Start Menu Run box.
    >
    > Also check Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings and make sure
    > it is not set up to use a proxy server.
    >

    >> How to copy what I see in the command screen to clipboard?

    > Enable Quick Edit, you can then select the text in the command console
    > with your left mouse button, and then right-click to copy to the
    > clipboard. To paste, either at the console or in a text file,
    > right-click.
    >
    > http://commandwindows.com/configure.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddoc
    > s/en-us/commandpromptoptions.mspx?mfr=true
    >
    > You can also redirect the output of commands to a text file with the
    > use of redirectors, example:
    >
    > ipconfig /all >c:\test.txt
    >
    > use double redirectors (>>) to append to a file:
    >
    > ipconfig /all >>c:\test.txt
    >
    > John

    Thanks for the help, hope tomorrow to do as you advised, and will post
    back.

    ms

    ms, Jul 15, 2010
  20. ms

    ms Guest

    John John -MVP <> wrote in

    > ms wrote:
    >> John John -MVP <> wrote in

    >>> So you set DNS on the DUN connection like shown here:
    >>> http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/dns.shtml ?
    >>>
    >>> You say you can make a connection to your ISP? Please establish a
    >>> connection then run the ipconfig /all command and post the unedited
    >>> results or the command.
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> When online, browser looking at a website, screen "server not found":
    >>
    >> Host name: XXXX my computer data
    >> Primary DNS Suffix: blank
    >> Node Type: Broadcast
    >> IP Routing Enabled: No
    >> Winproxy Enabled: No >
    >> Ethernet Adapter: disabled (I use DUN)
    >>
    >> Connection Specific- DNS Suffix
    >> Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
    >> DHCP Enabled: No
    >> IP Address: 4.255.44.193
    >> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    >> Default Gateway: 4.255.44.193
    >> DNS Servers: 67.211.172.29
    >> 67.211.172.30
    >> Netbios over TCP/IP: disabled
    >>
    >> Yesterday, I added my ISP server address, don't see it above.

    > Where does the
    >
    > DNS Servers: 67.211.172.29
    > 67.211.172.30
    >
    > come from? This should be the DNS server address from your ISP, you
    > set this in the Dial Up Connection's Properties.

    I don't know origin of 67....., it does not appear in any DUN screen, but
    at that time I am looking at a website.

    Added my ISP DNS address, unchecked automatic and selected manual, in DNS
    screen, added DNS address, closed screen, dialed up, open browser, no luck.

    Then checked DUN properties again, my changes were gone, default was back
    to automatic

    >Make sure that the DHCP Client service is set to Automatic startup type.

    To access the Services Management Console enter services.msc in the
    Start Menu Run box.

    DHCP Client service was set to Automatic

    >Also check Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings and make sure

    it is not set up to use a proxy server.

    I never set it to LAN, is now set to automatically detect- assume it will
    see only the DUN

    > Also check Internet Options | Connections | LAN Settings and make sure
    > it is not set up to use a proxy server.

    It was not set to proxy server.

    Maybe no help, but I'll again mention the change was internal to my
    registry, I was offline, browsing was normal until I selected a (too old)
    registry and rebooted. So this was not a malware change, or any new
    program.

    BTW, the audio CD issue on the XP machine, the computer is OK, and I will
    take your advice and change the CD drive.

    ms

    ms, Jul 18, 2010