Server Move! US > UK

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
PC Review is moving servers from the US to the UK. This should improve speeds on the site, but may result in a small amount of downtime very early tomorrow morning.

This US server will remain active until tomorrow, by which time most people will be seeing the UK server (it takes time for the change to "propagate" across the internet). At this point, I will freeze the US server, upload it to the UK server and then activate the site. This will assure that no forum posts are lost, but there may be a small period tomorrow morning that will not allow you to post on the old/new server.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
How come your changing anyway? I thought this site was pretty nippy. So this means its gonna be Uber fast?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just because it can be a little slow at loading sometimes, it should be even faster ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Server Move Complete!

Was a pretty painless move :) I hope no-one experience any downtime!

Does the site seem any faster now (UK people should notice an improvement).

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep ... very nice indeed thank you. :cool:

We still NEED a thumbs-up smillie

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I suppose I could add one ;)

This one ok? I can't find one with a little face next to it. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That'll do fine ... no need for anymore. :thumb:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
That was a quick change.

I havent noticed any speed difference yet (which isnt a bad thing, because its very fast anyway!).

I dont know how this net business works, do you have to pay for the site to be up, or do you get paid? or is it just free and you dont get anything?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
That was a quick change.

I havent noticed any speed difference yet (which isnt a bad thing, because its very fast anyway!).

I dont know how this net business works, do you have to pay for the site to be up, or do you get paid? or is it just free and you dont get anything?
I changed it over in the night, so it was good you didn't notice ;)

I have to pay for the site to be up, thats why there are some adverts on the site, as hosting and licenses for vBulletin and other scripts soon mount up. This is probably the first year that the site has actually paid for itself though, which is a relief!

I've noticed a speed difference at this end, but depending on where you are and your connection it may not be much different. Hopefully its faster for most though :)

Ask a Question