Server Error - Port 80

Discussion in 'Microsoft Frontpage' started by David Perry, Mar 23, 2004.

  1. David Perry

    David Perry Guest

    ---------------------------
    Microsoft FrontPage
    ---------------------------
    Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80".
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    I posted this error before, but failed to check the newsgroup daily. The
    message and replies have since disappeared.

    How can I correct this error? This occurs when I publish my web using http.
    I can still put my pages out using ftp, but I know that does not provide me
    with all the Server Extensions and other things that are maintained when
    using http.

    I assume that something has been changed in my registry but I don't know
    how.

    Thanks.
    David Perry

    David Perry, Mar 23, 2004

  2. David Perry

    Steve Easton Guest

    What version of Windows and what version of FrontPage??

    --
    Steve Easton
    Microsoft MVP FrontPage

    Steve Easton, Mar 23, 2004

  3. David Perry

    David Perry Guest

    Windows XP Home and FrontPage 2000.

    David

    David Perry, Mar 23, 2004
  4. Use of FTP has corrupted your host FP SE
    - have your host run a repair before you attempt to publish again
    Make sure you don't have something on your PC (like Yahoo messenger or a Firewall) blocking Port 80

    To correct your local problems have you also tried the usual repairs in the sequence below:
    1) In Windows Explorer Find and delete all FP Temp Files
    Usually in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and
    C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Temp
    2) In Windows Explorer Find and delete all hidden *.web files
    Usually in C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Microsoft\Web Server Extensions\Cache
    3) Run a Repair on IE
    (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378 )
    4) Install all Service Packs for your OS, IE, MS Office and your Video card
    (Windows Update and Office Update sites, plus your video card supplier site)
    5) Open FP and Disable or Uninstall any FP Addins,
    6) Open your FP Web/Site and run a Tools Recalculate Hyperlinks

    Stefan B Rusynko, Mar 23, 2004
  5. David Perry

    David Perry Guest

    Appreciate the information. I have walked through all of the steps but still
    get the error indicated concerning Registry Key. I continue to get this
    error message after removing my firewall, even, to make sure that it is not
    blocking Port 80.

    Server error: Error 2 opening registry key "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port 80".

    Does this server error refer to my PC or to my ISP?

    Is there a way to completely reinstall FrontPage, like there is for IE (see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378 )?

    Thanks for your information and help.

    David Perry

    David Perry, Mar 24, 2004
  6. David Perry

    David Perry Guest

    The problem has been solved. Thanks to Stefan, I had my ISP reset FrontPage
    Server Extensions and that resolved the problem. I appreciate the help that
    all offered me on this problem.

    David Perry, Mar 25, 2004