Server 2003 access share security

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Security' started by Jon Jones, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Jon Jones

    Jon Jones Guest

    I have a client with Windows Server 2003 SBS installed. They have a
    directory shared that is accessed by both Windows 2000, Windows XP and
    Macintosh clients for production files.
    The problem they are having is that they cannot change file or folder names.
    They can create new ones and change existing data in them, but they cannot
    rename them if they try these are the errors they get:

    Macintosh - You do not have sufficient access priveleges to rename the item

    PC - Error renaming the file or folder. Cannot rename " ": access is denied

    I have checked the permission and the security on the share and nothing is
    out of whack. They should be able to rename the files and folders. The
    last time this happened I removed the share and then reshared the folder.
    This allowed them to rename items, but the share has again stopped allowing
    them to rename.

    I am at a loss as to what is happening. None of the users are making
    changes to the security or share settings, unless it is happening by
    accident on the mac side.

    I am hoping that someone has seen this before and has a solution. Any help
    will be greatly appreciated.

    Jon Jones, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Jon Jones

    Adam Guest

    "Jon Jones" <> wrote in

    > I have a client with Windows Server 2003 SBS installed. They have a
    > directory shared that is accessed by both Windows 2000, Windows XP and
    > Macintosh clients for production files.
    > The problem they are having is that they cannot change file or folder
    > names. They can create new ones and change existing data in them, but
    > they cannot rename them if they try these are the errors they get:
    >
    > Macintosh - You do not have sufficient access priveleges to rename the
    > item
    >
    > PC - Error renaming the file or folder. Cannot rename " ": access is
    > denied
    >
    > I have checked the permission and the security on the share and
    > nothing is out of whack. They should be able to rename the files and
    > folders. The last time this happened I removed the share and then
    > reshared the folder. This allowed them to rename items, but the share
    > has again stopped allowing them to rename.
    >
    > I am at a loss as to what is happening. None of the users are making
    > changes to the security or share settings, unless it is happening by
    > accident on the mac side.
    >
    > I am hoping that someone has seen this before and has a solution. Any
    > help will be greatly appreciated.

    Check computer management on the server/workstation with the shared folder
    and see if anyone is accessing the file or folder at the time you are
    attempting to rename it.

    Adam, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Jon Jones

    Jon Jones Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > "Jon Jones" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a client with Windows Server 2003 SBS installed. They have a
    >> directory shared that is accessed by both Windows 2000, Windows XP and
    >> Macintosh clients for production files.
    >> The problem they are having is that they cannot change file or folder
    >> names. They can create new ones and change existing data in them, but
    >> they cannot rename them if they try these are the errors they get:
    >>
    >> Macintosh - You do not have sufficient access priveleges to rename the
    >> item
    >>
    >> PC - Error renaming the file or folder. Cannot rename " ": access is
    >> denied
    >>
    >> I have checked the permission and the security on the share and
    >> nothing is out of whack. They should be able to rename the files and
    >> folders. The last time this happened I removed the share and then
    >> reshared the folder. This allowed them to rename items, but the share
    >> has again stopped allowing them to rename.
    >>
    >> I am at a loss as to what is happening. None of the users are making
    >> changes to the security or share settings, unless it is happening by
    >> accident on the mac side.
    >>
    >> I am hoping that someone has seen this before and has a solution. Any
    >> help will be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > Check computer management on the server/workstation with the shared folder
    > and see if anyone is accessing the file or folder at the time you are
    > attempting to rename it.

    I will check with that, but I don't expect that any one is, there are not
    that many users and we have checked this using random files and folders when
    it happens.

    Jon Jones, Feb 12, 2006