Sending hundreds of emails by itself

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Mar 23, 2004.

    When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails. I know this because I start getting back messages right away saying that most of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and MacCafey and there software said that I don't have a virus. I even did a manual search for most of the names. Does anyone have any ideas
    .

    Guest, Mar 23, 2004

    possibly spyware? but is strange. long as you are updating
    your anti virus once a day.and scan your system, cause it
    sounds like you are a mail server for spam. try spybot
    safer-networking.org ,update ,scan on easy and remove scum.

    Guest, Mar 23, 2004

    can damage your antivirus program so the scan may not be
    accurate.

    Guest, Mar 23, 2004

    Tom Guest

    you have a trojan. You need something like Mcafee Stinger, it should find
    the problem and seriously consider an alternate antivirus program, or make
    sure you update your antivirus daily if possible.

    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger

    Tom

    Tom, Mar 23, 2004
  5. Bob wrote:

    > When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails.
    > I know this because I start getting back messages right away saying
    > that most of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and
    > MacCafey and there software said that I don't have a virus.

    Hi

    Those e-mails aren't necessarily coming from your computer.

    They can also be sent from another computer that is infected with
    a worm/virus that has found your e-mail address on that computer
    and is using it when spoofing the From address on the e-mails the
    worm sends out.

    Weekly, I also get several such undelivered messages sent to me
    claiming I have sent e-mails (to people I have never known) with
    worms/viruses attached. I can tell you, those e-mails are not sent
    by me or my computer ;-)

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Mar 23, 2004

    Plato Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?= wrote:

    > When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails. I know this

    You have installed a trojan, yes, you did and it has its own smpt
    mailing program.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 23, 2004
  7. In addition to the other replies, you may merely be a victim of someone
    else's computer who has your email address that is infected with a mass
    mailing worm or virus. Many of them spoof addresses from address lists
    on the infected computer to make the messages they send out appear to
    have originated from somewhere else.

    Steve

    Steve Nielsen, Mar 23, 2004

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Bob <> wrote:

    >When I connect to the internet my computer sends hundreds of emails. I know this because I start getting back messages right away saying that most of them cannot be delivered. I have run Norton and MacCafey and there software said that I don't have a virus. I even did a manual search for most of the names. Does anyone have any ideas.

    It may not actually be your computer that's sending the messages. The
    Sven worm - and probably other forms of malware also - will pick an
    address from the infected machine's address book to use as a "From"
    address. Spammers also pick an email address at random to use in the
    "From" header. That guarantees that any bounce messages (like you're
    getting) and complaints go to somebody else and they (the spammers)
    don't have to deal with them.

    If this is the case, there's not much you can do but delete the bogus
    bounce messages.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Tim Slattery, Mar 23, 2004

    Steve C. Ray Guest

    These emails are not coming from your computer, but from some other one that
    has your email address in it's address book. Nothing you can do about it,
    just keep your virus definitions up to date.

    --
    Steve C. Ray
    (Replace "mail" with "36db"

    Steve C. Ray, Mar 24, 2004