    all the roles in the event the one currently holding them all fails or is
    otherwise unusable ?

    thanks

    Steve Paul, May 20, 2009

  2. "Steve Paul" <steve > wrote in message news:...
    > If there are 2 domain controllers in my active directory and one of them
    > holds all the FSMO roles but both are global catalogs, can the 2nd DC seize
    > all the roles in the event the one currently holding them all fails or is
    > otherwise unusable ?
    >
    > thanks

    Yes, it can. But once you seize the roles, you cannot bring that machine back up. Assuming you seized it because the server failed, you will also need to perform a MetaData Cleanup to remove the old server's reference.

    Are you having any problems currently?

    --
    Ace

    confers no rights.

    Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging, MCT
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please

    "Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right things." - Peter F. Drucker
    http://twitter.com/acefekay

    Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer], May 20, 2009

    Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer], May 20, 2009
  4. Hello Steve,

    Yes, you can seize them, but then do not bring the old one back to the domain,
    this will result in conflicts.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], May 20, 2009
  5. Hello Steve,

    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], May 20, 2009
  6. Steve Paul

    steve paul Guest

    Thank you - I am not having any problems - just wanted to know for disaster
    planning
    --
    Steve Paul

    steve paul, May 23, 2009
  7. Steve Paul

    steve paul, May 23, 2009
  8. Steve Paul

    steve paul Guest

    Thank You
    --
    Steve Paul

    steve paul, May 23, 2009
  9. Steve Paul

    steve paul Guest

    Thank You
    --
    Steve Paul

    steve paul, May 23, 2009
  10. "steve paul" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Thank you - I am not having any problems - just wanted to know for disaster
    > planning
    > --
    > Steve Paul

    You are welcome!

    Ace

    Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer], May 23, 2009
  11. "steve paul" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Thank you - I am not having any problems - just wanted to know for disaster
    > planning
    > --
    > Steve Paul

    You are welcome!

    Ace

    Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer], May 23, 2009