Seeking Graphics Card advice

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Mr Mucks has helped to save my PC from a fate worse than death, after very kindly giving up a lot of time to guide and help me.

It involved a re-installation of Windows 7 and some fiddling about in the BIOS (yeah, that was due to me taking-out and replacing the CMOS, having read somewhere, that it sometimes "did the trick." Hmm... no it didn't, so my bad.)

For those who might be wondering - no the graphics card still doesn't work, so as Mucks says, it is looking increasingly likely that the card was either faulty, or (probably more likely) the old card did some damage when it failed.

Fortunately, Amazon are very good about this kind of thing, so another replacement graphics card is due to be delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed... but frankly, not feeling too hopeful.

On the bright side, at least I can still use the PC again... though not for my game, of course.

So, at risk of embarrassing him, a big squishy thank you to @muckshifter, for the much appreciated assistance. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So the card was DOA then?

Either way, glad your somewhat back up and running. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and I do hope it was a DOA and not the PCIe being taken out by the old graphic card ... can only really tell by doing what you are doing, trying another card.

as for the 'help', it was a pleasure, although frustrating not to be able to totally 'fix' the problem.

Here's hoping plan B works. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
So what happened ???????????????? :cool:
I'll not have the new card until it's delivered sometime tomorrow (Friday) so won't know until I try fitting it. Right now, I'm just keeping fingers crossed that the first card was DOA - but, as Mucks says, if the PCIE is cream crackered... I'll just have to be content with Mahjong instead of Guild Wars 2. :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Mahjong is great on Windows. They have much nicer tile sets that any I have found for linux os's. :nod:

Ohhhhhh errrrrrrrrr I just realized I said some Windows stuff is better than the penguins :eek: how will be able to walk into the Penguin Arms for a pint now :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh errrrrrrrrr I just realized I said some Windows stuff is better than the penguins :eek: how will be able to walk into the Penguin Arms for a pint now :lol:
Shame on you! A false beard, dark glasses and a hoodie is now the only way to go! Those penguins will be on your trail for sure! :lol:

But yes, the MS Mahjong tiles (and indeed layouts) are rather good. Don't half miss my GW2 though.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
IT LIVES! I can hardly believe it.... but the new card was delivered 15 mins ago, so I popped it in, installed the drivers, and way hay! I have "proper" graphics again. :dance::dance::dance::dance:

I cannot tell you how pleased I am feeling right now... :D

Many thanks for the replies, helpful comments, and assistance received over the past few days. I am most grateful to all. :cheers::cheers:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hurrah! I'm very pleased for you! :thumb:

Enjoy catching up on GW2 :user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you guys :D

There is a major improvement with this card, btw. The old one always whined its way through gaming, right from day one when the PC was new (Novatech.). (I probably should have complained, but, at the time, I was a little hacked-off with that company, for having messed me about at the time of purchase, so really wanted nothing more to do with them.)

Anyway - this new card (which is a Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 750Ti 2GB PCI-E) works silently, so far. It also seems to handle the game (on maxed settings) without a hiccup. So feeling very pleased.

Okay, I should stop banging-on about it now. :lol: :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... bang on all you like, upgrades are always worth highlighting. :)

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, what Mucks said, all info is interesting info far as I'm concerned, I'm using an EVGA GTX 760 2Gb and it's running all my games flawlessly. I haven't tried some games maxed out but they all look good enough to me.

Ask a Question