Seeing "Seams" continued. (New Graphics Card)

Reaction score
I upgraded to a new graphics card, an EVGA GeForce 8600GT and inserted it and upgraded to the newest drivers, I went to test the game and the "seams" are still there, my computer is clean and I don't think it's overheating as everything inside is nice and ventilated. What could be causing this? I noticed the seams and such after I moved to my new home (Near 6-7 months ago, give or take), but my PC was transported in a car and not bumping into things so I doubt anything was damaged.

I am running my background resolution at 1024x768 and everything looks a tiny bit blury where as on the GeForce 7300 LE is did not at this resolution. (Had to insert an adapter that came with the Graphics Card onto the monitor slot to hook up my Plug & Play monitor, would that have any affect on it?)

Just trying to pin-point where the problem lies as it's highly annoying to look at.

Here are some images of the issues in one game called Final Fantasy XI, in World of Warcraft, I see the same thing, but running down the center of the character models if I turn them to the side and on Tree branches where the branch connects to the trunk, but in World of Warcraft the tree issue dissappears when I get close to the tree.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Venion/12.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Venion/11.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Venion/4.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Venion/3.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Venion/2.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Venion/1.jpg

I have just tried a different monitor (with different wires and everything) no change, still getting the graphical issues.

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well its kinda hard to tell exactly what your pointing out (pics are fuzzy) but i think i have an idea. What your basically seeing is when two (or more) textures dont quite meet up and as a result you get a black line. Its a fairly common glitch that i have seen in all games i have played, both pc and console. Although annoying its best not to pay any attention to them - but if they annoy you , try changing the settings in the Nvidia control panel. Use this guide to help you get a better understanding on what the different settings. and please do read through it, there some good info to be had.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html
(disclamer you use this guide at your owns risk, every choice in life has its risks... this isnt any differnt)

Reaction score
The thing is, these appear in spots/games they didn't previously, so I'm trying to figure out what could be causing them to appear more frequently/in games they never used to, in World of Warcraft, when I turned a character to the side, I never saw a "seam" running down them, and I never used to see "seams" where the branches connected to the trunks, likewise in Final Fantasy XI, I know these are in all games, but the ones I'm seeing are a lot more frequent then they used to be and in areas they never used to be.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
are you using the same resoulution that you were before?

Reaction score
Using the same resoultion I used way back before I ever started seeing these issues, I've also tried various other resolutions and the problem persists through-out each one.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Do you notice any issuses when using a different monitor?

Reaction score
Different Monitor/Different monitor wires make no difference (tried using the upstairs monitor)

Reaction score
I went back to my old graphics card since the new one was causing slight blurr even with adequate power supply and it did not fix my graphical issue, anything that would be causing these "seams"?

Not monitor related (tried different monitors/monitor wires)

Not Graphics card related (tried different graphics cards)

Not overheating (Machine is clean and all fans are running fine)

What could the problem be?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
it could be that the outlet is not giving out enough power for the card. actually i do notice that text in certain games are blurred when antialiasing is on. find the setting in the control panel, and set it to 0 or application controlled.

Also in the '3D settings tab' where the spinning Nvidia logo is, set the slider there to 'high performance'.

give that a try

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I went to test the game and the "seams" are still there
And I think, that is exactly what they are ... seams in the game ... It ain't hardware related, as such, just a poor patch job.

I 'see' the same thing, on occasions, in Guild Wars, especially on flooring where small blocks are used repeatedly ... stand in the right place and you can see a lot of them. ;)

I don't see 'em to well on my CRT monitor. :D

:user:

Reaction score
Yes, but my friend does not see the same thing as I do.

Also, the burriness if for my whole computer when the resolution is at 1024x768 or higher.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Other that something being wrong with the actual cables, im coming up blank.
so everything on the desktop is blurry? (ie text or pics?)

Reaction score
Well, with the blurriness is only there with my new graphics card when it's at 1024x768 or higher resolution and it affects everything.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Only thing i can think of...
reinstall the drivers.
Get the latest drivers from Nvidias website, they should be the 169.28

go through the 'Add/Remove program' method and remove the display drivers.
when asked about any saved profiles, dont save any. Use a program like 'CCleaner' (its free) to clean up any stray registry pieces.

restart the computer. Then install

try that and see if that works (you should do it anyway, even if you done it already)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
what are you system specs again? include the PSU as well.

Reaction score
Hello, I went back to the card and toyed with it, after reinserting it I noticed that even on lower resolutions it was slightly blurry so I secured the power adapter to the 8600GT and my Hard drive to make sure extra power was flowing to the card, then the blur was still there, so I clicked my monitors auto-adjust and that fixed the problem 100%

The graphical "seams" are still there though, not really sure what could be causing them at all.

Different Graphics Card: Problem still there.

Different Monitor: Problem still there.

Different monitor cables: Problem still there.

Cleaned PC insides completely free of dust and fluff: Problem still there.

System Restore to over half a year back: Problem still there.

Virus/Spyware search: Nadda

Only thing I can think of is, maybe it's because I'm using VGA? My new card is DVI (with little adapters to hook onto the DVI slot to make it VGA) I'm going to try getting a DVI wire and see if that fixes it, if it does not, I am at a complete loss as to what could possibly be causing these abnormalities...

You want my system specs, how should I go about it? copy & paste my dxdiag info into a post? Where do I find my PSU?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
nah thats ok.

the only thing i can think of with your seam problem, is that its just a graphical hiccup.

Reaction score
What do you mean graphical hiccup? :( It's a constant thing whether my PC is just turned on, been on for days, etc...

Ask a Question