    since there is no download box to check for hiding and skipping this
    particular download how do I get rid of the annoyance on shutting down
    Windows?

    Mike, Jul 11, 2007

  2. Mike

    Guest Guest

    RE: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service

    I also have same issue. Even downloaded and installed it and automatic
    updates keep comming back saying it needs to be installed. Mine is Security
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
    that keeps comming back.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2007

  3. Mike

    PA Bear Guest

    Re: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service

    Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    PA Bear, Jul 11, 2007
  4. Mike

    Bill Drake Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I am unable to install current Windows XP update Security Update for
    > Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366). I
    > have exited Kaspersky 6.0 antivirus and my Outpost firewall to no
    > avail. The net framework update for version 2 installed the download
    > with no problem. Windows keeps trying to install when I exit Windows
    > on turning the computer off. Do I need the 1.1 update? If so, how do
    > I get it to install? Lastly since there is no download box to check
    > for hiding and skipping this particular download how do I get rid of
    > the annoyance on shutting down Windows?

    Note: I am posting this for people who have problems with
    the installation of the DotNet 1.1 security update that
    are not solved by the use of the "controluserpassword2"
    workaround.

    Background Info:

    Up until this month's Patch Tuesday, the installation of DotNet 1.1
    caused the spurious-logon-prompt-effect UNTIL you installed the
    DotNet 1.1 updates that should be automatically detected as
    needed by Windows Update after the installation of DotNet 1.1.

    Until this month, Windows Update would automatically detect
    that you were running an unpatched version of DotNet 1.1 and
    offer to upgrade with the two previous patches - which are as
    detailed below as Items 2 and 3 in the download list.

    Once the above updates for DotNet 1.1 are installed, the
    problem with startup should magically disappear.

    (Crappy coding on the part of the original DotNet 1.1 installer.)

    Comment:

    The problem with the reintroduction of the Login Screen, on
    systems where autologon was working properly before the
    latest round of patches were released - along with other
    problems where the security updates for the Microsoft DotNet
    framework fail to install correctly - seems to have become
    prevalent since the release of the latest DotNet 1.1 security
    update.

    I'm suspicious that the current DotNet 1.1 security update was
    *supposed* to be coded as a complete replacement for the
    original DotNet 1.1 install and its two previous updates - but
    there may be some screwup somewhere that causes problems
    to recur under certain circumstances.

    If Microsoft has messed this - yet again - then you may have
    to uninstall the DotNet 1.1 update items - in reverse order of
    those listed as items 1 - 4 below and then reinstall the DotNet
    packages in the following order:

    1. Dotnet 1.1 Package installer:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

    2. Dotnet 1.1 - Service Pack 1 installer:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en

    3. Security Update for Dotnet 1.1 - Service Pack 1: KB887219

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-004.mspx

    4. Security Update for DotNet 1.1 - Service Pack 1: KB931212

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-040.mspx

    Observation:

    On all the machines I have here, as well as all my Client machines,
    the latest DotNet 1.1 patch went in on top of the original DotNet 1.1
    package, which was already patched up with the previous two
    DotNet 1.1 patches before the current patch was installed.

    None of these systems had any problem with the current DotNet 1.1
    security update - nor have they shown any problems with the spurious
    reappearance of the login screen on systems set for autologon.

    Best I can do for now. <tm>

    Bill

    Bill Drake, Jul 12, 2007
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I found another solution that worked at
    http://www.codesecurely.org/archive/2007/07/10/patch-tuesday-blues.aspx It
    seems that a number of others also ran into my problem. But thank you for
    the reply, it was enlightening and useful.
    Mike

    Mike, Jul 12, 2007