Search of an event fired immediate before Quit-event

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook VBA Programming' started by Peter Ostermann, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. Hi NG,

    as everybody knows minimizing Outlook 2007 creates a little Icon in the
    system-tray, and it is recommendable to minimize it, every time after usage,
    because it takes a while to start Outlook again after closed.

    The user nevertheless often falls victim his habit, to close applications
    after usage. I try to show a prompt before closing to stop "Quit", but once
    the Quit event is released it seems that it can't be stopped anymore, even
    though the prompt still happens.
    Here the code:

    Private Sub Application_Quit()
    OK = MsgBox("Really want to quit?", vbYesNo, "Closing Outlook")
    If OK <> 6 _
    Then
    OK = MsgBox("Quit stopped, minimized", vbYes, "Closing Outlook")
    Call MinimizeActiveWindow
    End If
    OK = MsgBox("Test completed", vbYes, "Closing Outlook")
    MsgBox "Goodbye, " & Application.GetNamespace("MAPI").CurrentUser
    End Sub

    Sub MinimizeActiveWindow()
    OK = MsgBox("There is no window anymore that could be minimized", vbYes,
    "Closing Outlook")
    ActiveWindow.WindowState = olMinimized
    End Sub

    How would a "Quit-stop" look like to solve this problem?

    Regards
    Peter Ostermann

    Peter Ostermann, Apr 5, 2007

  2. You can't stop it. By the time Application.Quit fires all the Outlook
    objects are already out of scope and have been released. There is no
    BeforeQuit event and the BeginShutdown event in COM addins has no Cancel
    argument to stop a shutdown.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Apr 5, 2007

  3. Thanks, Ken,

    I understand.
    May be there is a more simple workaround possible:
    How can I disable the cross at right hand side of the Outlook
    window bar?

    Peter

    Peter Ostermann, Apr 5, 2007
  4. You can't do that either.

    I suppose you could by getting the window that displays that control using
    Win32 API calls and then find the control and send it a Windows message to
    disable itself. You might have to change the window type displayed by
    Outlook to not show the Close button, usually you lose the minimize and
    resize controls too when you do that, and I'm not sure that Outlook would
    like you messing around with it's dialog window type.

    But I guess you could try it.

    --
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

    Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook], Apr 5, 2007
  5. Peter, please send me an e-mail. I've an application developed that enables
    you to cancel the quit process.

    --
    Viele Gruesse / Best regards
    Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

    Michael Bauer [MVP - Outlook], Apr 6, 2007
  6. Peter Ostermann

    MikeTS

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello Michael,

    I do not see an email posted for you here and I am attempting to use this same code to move objects from one folder to another when a user chooses to exit/quit Outlook. Would your application work in this instance?

    MikeTS, Jun 5, 2012