    ridergroov Guest

    How do I search for ONLY the compressed files on my hard drive? Just
    want to see which ones are compressed. THanks!

    ridergroov, May 13, 2006

  2. Search for *.zip

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from George Ankner:

    Richard Urban, May 13, 2006

  3. ridergroov

    Guest Guest

    Searching for *.zip will find any files that you have compressed using XP's
    built-in ZIP file creator/extractor ("compressed folders").

    However, to my knowledge there is no way to run a search to find all files
    that are currently compressed using the NTFS compression. However, you can
    use Folder Options in Control Panel to "show encrypted or compressed ntfs
    files in color" (see the View tab). This option will cause compressed files'
    names to appear in blue font, and encrypted files to appear in green.

    SK

    Guest, May 13, 2006
  4. ridergroov

    David Candy Guest

    compact *.* /a /s:C:\

    How to lose a war in Iraq
    http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641

    David Candy, May 14, 2006
  5. ridergroov

    Guest Guest

    Thanks David. I didn't know about that command.

    Tip: When I ran the command, the detailed output scrolled so long that it
    used up all my command prompt's buffer lines (couldn't scroll all the way
    back up to the beginning where the command was issued). But you can type the
    command this way, and it will save the entire results of the output in a text
    file you specify...

    compact *.* /a /s:c:\ > c:\output.txt

    Guest, May 14, 2006
  6. ridergroov