SDI2HD problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Embedded' started by Victor Zaslavsky, Apr 30, 2009.

  1. Hi folks,

    I've created bootable CD-ROM with MS-DOS 6.22, sdi2hd.exe and my .sdi file
    on it.
    After boot sdi2hd successfully displays disk information (/X) and sdi file
    information (/I).

    However it fails to copy the sdi image onto target HD.
    It prints something like that:
    |----+----+----+----|
    /

    with rotating symbol in the bottom line and does not progress for long ime
    (>30 minutes).

    I've canceled the flash proccess and loadaed my XP system from another
    drive.
    Disk manager shows the target device as invalid, without any partition on
    it.

    What can be the problem?

    My system is Intel Q965 - based with SATADOM 4 GB HD, 2 GB RAM and DVD
    connected over USB.

    Thanks in advance,
    Victor.

    Victor Zaslavsky, Apr 30, 2009

  2. Victor Zaslavsky

    Sean Liming Guest

    The SDI2HD deployment method is slow. If your system support USB 2.0 boot,
    you could consider an alternative deployment method -
    http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Articles/USB 2 Flash Boot.pdf

    Regards,

    Sean Liming
    www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com
    Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XP Embedded Supplemental Toolkit

    Sean Liming, Apr 30, 2009

  3. Hi Sean,

    Thanks for helping me.

    Is the sdi2hd.exe AS SLOW? 30 minutes are enough to re-write to 4 GB SDD
    several times.

    And the application even didn't create a partition on the target device.

    It looks like I did something wrong, not Microsoft.

    Can it be caused by some misstake while creating sdi file?
    If yes, how can I check the sdi file consystency?

    Thanks again,
    Victor.

    Victor Zaslavsky, Apr 30, 2009
  4. Victor Zaslavsky

    JS Guest

    SDI is slow, 4GB might take 90 minutes.
    Try writing a small partition as a test.
    I believe you must pre-create the partition if you are writing only a
    partition, and not the whole disk.
    Also, try using a CD-R initially not a DVD (if you are using DVD).

    JS, May 1, 2009
  5. Hi,

    Thanks for the clarification.

    I do use CD because I didn't find a way to create bootable DVD (XPE
    documentation does not address this issue or I just missed it).

    My sdi file size is about 600 MB and I was able to put it onto bootable CD
    with MS-DOS 6.22.
    I cannot put it onto bootable CD with Windows PE because it requires another
    150 MB of space.

    Does SDI under PE work faster than under MS-DOS?
    If yes, how can I create bootable DVD image?

    Thanks in advance,
    Victor.

    Victor Zaslavsky, May 1, 2009
  6. Victor Zaslavsky

    JS Guest

    You can make a bootable dvd with oscdimg.exe. This comes with the Win PE
    tools.
    You need to use a more recent version of the Win PE tools (eg: the Server
    2003 version),
    rather than the original XP Win PE tools version.

    JS, May 2, 2009