script to hyperlink and reference a cell value in the hyperlink

I have a column of 400 photos that I need to hyperlink to corresponding
..jpgs on a CD-ROM. So Column E has 400 cells, each with the word "Photo" and
a Photo ID number. So that I don't have to type the word "Photo" every time,
each cell has the formula ["Photo" 0] and all I do is type the ID number to
get a display like "Photo 2522". The .jpg file addresses are basically
D:\Photos\IMG_2522.jpg, but of course the photo number always changes and
corresponds to the Photo ID number in Column E. How can I automate the
hyperlinking so that the hyperlink references the changing photo number?
Here's how the code reads if I open the MS Script Editor under the macro menu
(this is one I manually hyperlinked).

href="file:///D:\Photos\IMG_2347.jpg">Photo 2347</a></td>

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Natasha

Jim Cone

You might want to try the free Excel add-in "List Files".
It creates a list of hyperlinked files from a specific folder/subfolders.
Download from... http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Natasha D."
<[email protected]>

I have a column of 400 photos that I need to hyperlink to corresponding
..jpgs on a CD-ROM. So Column E has 400 cells, each with the word "Photo" and
a Photo ID number. So that I don't have to type the word "Photo" every time,
each cell has the formula ["Photo" 0] and all I do is type the ID number to
get a display like "Photo 2522". The .jpg file addresses are basically
D:\Photos\IMG_2522.jpg, but of course the photo number always changes and
corresponds to the Photo ID number in Column E. How can I automate the
hyperlinking so that the hyperlink references the changing photo number?
Here's how the code reads if I open the MS Script Editor under the macro menu
(this is one I manually hyperlinked).

href="file:///D:\Photos\IMG_2347.jpg">Photo 2347</a></td>

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Natasha

Hi Jim,

Thank you! That worked great. I first did it the long way using the DIR
command and then in Excel concatenating the last part of the file name to the
first part of the file name- and then copying and pasting the value etc to
hook up the hyperlink. So I have much appreciation for your macro!

Thanks again,
Natasha

Jim Cone said:
Natasha,
Am interested in hearing your results.
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
http://www.officeletter.com/blink/specialsort.html

"Natasha D."
<[email protected]>
wrote in message...
Thanks Jim. Let me play around with that and see if it works.
~Natasha

Jim Cone said:
You might want to try the free Excel add-in "List Files".
It creates a list of hyperlinked files from a specific folder/subfolders.
Download from... http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Natasha D."
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
Hi,>
I have a column of 400 photos that I need to hyperlink to corresponding
..jpgs on a CD-ROM. So Column E has 400 cells, each with the word "Photo" and
a Photo ID number. So that I don't have to type the word "Photo" every time,
each cell has the formula ["Photo" 0] and all I do is type the ID number to
get a display like "Photo 2522". The .jpg file addresses are basically
D:\Photos\IMG_2522.jpg, but of course the photo number always changes and
corresponds to the Photo ID number in Column E. How can I automate the
hyperlinking so that the hyperlink references the changing photo number?
Here's how the code reads if I open the MS Script Editor under the macro menu
(this is one I manually hyperlinked).

href="file:///D:\Photos\IMG_2347.jpg">Photo 2347</a></td>

Any assistance is appreciated.>
Thanks,
Natasha

beatrice25

Hi Natasha,
this may be what I need to create abookmark based on cell value, can I
please see your code

Thanks

Simon