Windows 7 Screen Saver

Reaction score
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
Anti Virus Software : Norton
Internet connection : ADSL router.
Computer Specifications :- Manufacturer IT Servicies (Grimsby) ltd.
Machine Type PC compatible
Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E6600 @ 3.06GHz – 2.53GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.24 GB usable)
Operating System: 32 bit
Workgroup MSHOME
Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010
Keyboard: Vivanco Office Keyboard Plus
Mouse: Logitech M505

[FONT=&quot]Suddenly my screen saver keeps switching off as if I have woken the PC.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It used to run indefinitely until I moved the mouse etc. Now runs for about 25 seconds then returns to a live screen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anyone know why this is happening?[/FONT]
TJ:confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Could be a number of things.... Mouse is over sensitive? Software 'waking' the machine?

Mine does it now and again, never really bothered me tbh. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've heard that a wireless mouse can sometimes be the cause of this problem.

If you use one it might be worth disconnecting it and then see if things change.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Disconnected mouse - no different.
Following day (today) problem has disappeared after 2 weeks of annoying occurrences.
No idea what was causing it but ok for the moment.
TJ

Reaction score
Don't know where original tread is but I have found the answer.
Screen saver would only run for a short time then return to a live window.
This was being caused by Norton, specifically 'Task Notification'.
This pops out on a regular basis as Norton is running background programmes.
Disabeling 'Task Notification' stops the problem.:fool:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Switch to Microsoft Security essentials. It is pretty good and requires no input from the user, fully automated and runs in the background. Some say it is slightly slower than other free offerings but there is always trade-off between convenience and speed. You choose what suits you best. Other good ones are, Avira, Avast and recently Panda and all are free to download and use.

Make sure you uninstall the Norton completely by installing the Norton removal tool. Shut down you PC and reboot before installing any other AVV software. Two AV softwares should never be used at the same time as they will conflict with each other.

Here are the links to the relevant software:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_d4749.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Security_Essentials_for_Windows_d6242.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avira_AntiVir_Personal_-_FREE_Antivirus_d955.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Avast_Free_Edition_d1968.html

http://majorgeeks.com/Panda_Cloud_Antivirus_d6144.html

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've merged this and your original thread. :)

Another vote for MSE here, I use it, and put it on builds I do for people too.. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Apart from aesthetic reasons, why does anybody with a flatscreen monitor (which is probably everybody) want to run a screensaver? The original idea was to prevent image burn to CRT tubes, which doesn't apply to flatscreen monitors. I haven't run a screensaver in donkey's years.

And yes, Nortons still sucks, their AV protection has got better but it's still bloatware, intruding into every far corner of your Windows operating system.

MSE (Not an exotic disease but rather Microsoft Security Essentials) is free, unobtrusive, is not bloatware and does the job. It's good.

Yes, I know it's strange coming from Microsoft but when you consider everything it is in MS's own interests to make something decent to protect against viruses and malware.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
MSE ... it comes from MS, but they didn't originally write any AV code, probably why a lot of us like it.

It will not protect you, as with any other AV, from yourself. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

FWIW, I have my screen go blank after 5 mins, then off after 10. Simple.

Surely that's a power options setting rather than screensaver?

I may be ecologically unsound here but if there's one thing that niggles me when it comes to computers it's having things turn off during inactivity, especially the screen. I can achieve how my system behaves within Win 7 but oddly enough not in Linux Mint 13 :mad: I have sought everywhere in Mint to correct this, thought I'd set everything to 'never' but no, ten minutes away and I return to a black screen. Drives me nuts.

Whilst we're on the subject another pet hate is apps that install desktop shortcuts without being asked to, I want to commit violence on whoever decided that. Oh, and being asked to register, and apps asking me for Google Chrome to be installed and, and....

:D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score

I may be ecologically unsound here but if there's one thing that niggles me when it comes to computers it's having things turn off during inactivity, especially the screen. I can achieve how my system behaves within Win 7 but oddly enough not in Linux Mint 13 :mad: I have sought everywhere in Mint to correct this, thought I'd set everything to 'never' but no, ten minutes away and I return to a black screen. Drives me nuts.

Whilst we're on the subject another pet hate is apps that install desktop shortcuts without being asked to, I want to commit violence on whoever decided that. Oh, and being asked to register, and apps asking me for Google Chrome to be installed and, and....
:D
:lol: :p

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Installation is no longer a breeze you gotta keep an eye on everything, once I forgot and the stupid incredibar got downloaded to every browser, a real pain to say the least but figured how to get rid of the stupid add on.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Bit of both really. :)

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization (Or Right Click on desktop > Personalize) > Screen Saver > Blank.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Its not much of an issue for me, nudge the mouse and the screen comes back on. Usually if the PC's been left that long that the screens gone off, I'm away for a while.

:)

Ask a Question