scanpst.exe fails to repair file

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook' started by Hurricane Andrew, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. I have a user who is running Outlook 2007 (RTM) and somehow her outlook.pst
    file got corrupted. I have tried running scanpst.exe both on the file as it
    sits on the server (we have redirected most user folders to the server), as
    well as copying the file to the hard drive and trying to run scanpst on it
    there. I've also tried the alternating scandisk/scanpst solution, which has
    not yielded results either.

    The process always fails at the same point, just after step 6 of 8
    completes, with a dialog box that simply indicates that an error has occured
    and the scan process failed to complete - no changes were made to the
    original file.

    The file is only 119MB, so it's not the 2GB issue, nor will that tool
    truncate the file anyway since it's so small.

    Is there anyway to fix this, any other steps I could possible take? Outlook
    would not launch due to the corruption, so I have moved the corrupt pst to
    another directory and created a new outlook.pst so that the user is at least
    able to send and receive new e-mail, though all of her existing messages are
    gone.

    --
    "Hurricane" Andrew
    Milford, DE

    Hurricane Andrew, Mar 20, 2007

  2. Hurricane Andrew

    socrtwo Guest

    http://www.s2services.com/outlookfreeware.htm

    socrtwo, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Why would you do this? You must know that placing PST files on network
    drives is not supported, and that there is a good reason for it.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Mar 20, 2007
  4. Hurricane Andrew

    Guest Guest

    Outlook needs read/write access to the PST file. You shouldn't keep it on a
    network drive since any interruption to the connection can corrupt the file.
    Move the file back to the local machine, close Outlook and run the utility.
    --
    Kathleen Orland
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    Guest, Mar 21, 2007
  5. I already had tried that, but scanpst still fails. I even double-checked
    the file permissions just to be sure.

    --
    "Hurricane" Andrew
    Milford, DE

    Hurricane Andrew, Mar 21, 2007
  6. Hurricane Andrew

    Alan Guest

    Hi,

    For your case, you may try our product Advanced Outlook Repair to
    repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages,
    folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook
    PST files.

    Please visit http://www.datanumen.com/aor/index.htm for detailed
    information about Advanced Outlook Repair.

    And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

    Alan Chen
    DataNumen, Inc. - World leader in data recovery technologies
    Website: http://www.datanumen.com
    Fax: +1-800-9917-FAX (US Toll-Free)

    Alan, Mar 30, 2007