Scanning problems with HP All-in-one

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Print / Fax / Scan' started by civ2ru, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. civ2ru

    civ2ru Guest

    Sorry to post about this issue one more time... It still hasn't been resolved
    (after 10 back-and-forth e-mails with HP technical support), and I really
    need your help!

    First off, I run Windows Vista Home Premium (32). I've used my HP Photosmart
    C4280 printer for about 2 years, worked fine for the most part. Lately I
    started having problems, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver &
    software (got the latest versions from HP download site). Since reinstall, my
    scanner isn't working. Whether I press the "Scan" button on the unit, or I
    select "Scan picture" or "Scan document" from the HP Solution Center, an
    error pops up: "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device.
    Please ensure that the printing device is properly connected and try again".

    Also, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers/software several
    times, cleaned temporary files and registry, still the problem persists.

    Having said that, the printing/copying works fine, so I know that the
    printer is properly connected.

    BTW, tried connecting the same printer to a friend's PC running Windows XP
    and it scans with no problem, so the issue must have something to do with HP
    interacting (non-interacting) with Vista.

    Please help!!!

    civ2ru, Jul 9, 2009

  2. civ2ru

    Carol Guest

    Scanning with HP all in ones using Vista is a disaster. I've been trying to
    get them to write a patch but zero response. You can scan but only to
    picture format - .btmp, .jpeg, etc. That means you can't OCR anything which
    is a real problem for me. If you're willing to accept the picture format,
    just turn on the printer, go to Programs/Accessories and open Paint. Click
    on File then "From Scanner or Camera" then click Scan. If HP ever comes up
    with a patch, I'll post the information.

    Carol, Jul 15, 2009

  3. civ2ru

    civ2ru Guest

    Carol - thank you for your reply! Actually, I found a better / more versatile
    workaround scanning solution for image formats in Vista, through Windows
    Photo Gallery. As far as scanning to PDF, one can always use doPDF or cutePDF
    to convert from image format (through virtual printing). Also, there is a
    little freeware program called Scan2PDF that allows for scanning a
    several-page PDF - but you can't crop with it...

    All workarounds aside, I still can't make my All-in-one HP software to work
    as it once did. So the verdict is - HP makes good products and very very
    crappy software! :-(

    civ2ru, Jul 15, 2009
  4. civ2ru

    PAM Guest

    Thank you - best info I received so far foir a frustraing problem.

    PAM, Jul 23, 2009
  5. civ2ru

    duffer Guest

    I'm on a chat with HP support. About to try uninstall and installing latest
    update. I have same issue you have except I don't get any error msg. I can
    see the scan preview, but can't get the scanned image in browser. It was
    working for the last year on this system...so I suspect MS auto update to op
    sys. I'll let you know if I find a soln....duffer

    duffer, Aug 1, 2009
  6. civ2ru

    pc Guest

    the only problem is that Windows is not even recognizing my scanner (it is
    part of an all-in-one printer and it doesn't show up under Cameras or
    Scanners). Any suggestions?

    pc, Sep 9, 2009
  7. How does HP recommend that you scan? What does the owner's manual suggest?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Sep 9, 2009