Scan Computers UK online shop bad experince

Reaction score
i am John and going to share my experience with Scan

First off been regular customer of Scan for many years. Upgraded my PC many times and even bought PC from 3XS on 8th Dec 2014. Never once have I had problem , in fact I use to recommend them to friends and family. Until now when on the 8th of August I bought motherboard bundle from Scan. This bundle to be exact http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...ssor-plus-msi-z97-gaming-5-motherboard-bundle. I like many got the typical apology out of stock cry which I dint mind they were rather quick over all and I got it on the 12th August. When package arrived external package was fine. So I signed for it and like many rushed to open it up and upgrade my PC , so when I opened package I found wrapping bubble had tear around CPU area. I thought okay hopefully no damage to processor. After ripping bubble wrap open I found my processor box had been opened at side. When investigating further I realised only a heat sink inside box. Now delivery came at 11.50 am and I was on phone to Scan helpline by 11.55 am. I was told I would have to do things by email. I sent emails back and forth. Sent pictures of outer package which I had explained was fine at time. Sent pictures of processor box etc. Was told they will investigate this matter. I was fairly confident Scan would do right thing. Imagine my shock when I received this email.

Thank you for your reply,

The facts are as follows.

The chip and serial number were received in the same day as shipping from Scan, we verify every product is intact before leaving Scan, this was verified by at least four members of staff at Scan.

The image you sent of the express bag from DPD, comes from Scan this has been confirmed from the image of the label, the label and bag came from Scan along with the bubble wrap.

This could not have been re-packaged from DPD as the bag and label would be different upon arrival, which was not different as you sent us a picture.

If there was any tampering/holes in the packaging the driver would have logged it, he would have either asked you to refuse to sign for the parcel upon delivery, or check contents and sign for it damaged or open, this did not happen. If the package was damaged or had a hole in the outer bag I'm sure you would have mentioned it to the delivery driver this was not the case the packaging was signed for intact.

Kind Regards,

Dawn
Scan Computers

Now am pretty sure that chips don't disappear into thin air. There can only really be 3 reasons my chip was not in box , 1 is Scan dint pack the chip into box like they claim/ Misplaced or stolen.

2 DPD on route stole it, Or they are accusing me of lying about missing chip.

Now it clear by Scan own words it cant be DPD , so it only leaves 2 options.

Either Scan made error when packing / or someone stole it, Or they are accusing me of lying about no chip in Box

Scan open processor box to check chip , yet seem unable to comprehend they may of made an error and packed it with out the chip. Scan use human beings to pack stuff, humans from time to time are prone to making mistakes. Yet Scan will not even entertain this idea. Instead they shown me they care little about customer when it comes to customer care. They only care about profit, am curious if others have had such bad experiences with Scan Computers UK or nothing but good experinces

PS i will be contacting trading standards and fighting this. Just wanted to share my experince with Scan Computers a company i use to respect. Also appolgise if i placed this in wrong forum thread. Was unsure where such a topic would go, so put it here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I always write "Unchecked" first when signing for goods then my signature.
This will not help you in this case but a good pointer for the future.

Reaction score
Here a follow up i spent today calling Scan and trying to talk to managment. Ended up chatting to Dawn on the phone who told me these kind of orders they dont open. They just post out. So given am told this why in Dawn's original email, was i told The chip and serial number were received in the same day as shipping from Scan, we verify every product is intact before leaving Scan, this was verified by at least four members of staff at Scan. Am i missing something here but is she contradicting her self. Why would at least 4 people stand with scanner scanning a Box with out opening it to see if goods are in tact.. Checking serial on chip it self etc, Yet now she claims they dont open the processor boxes. Anayway i have sent recorded letter to Scan , contacted Trading Standards and ready to follow this up with small court claim as i will not accept company can ignore the rights of customer and ignore the law on Sales of good act. Not happy experince but lesson learned. When things go well with Scan it great. But when things go bad they will try to wiggle free of there obligations to customer. Blame you rather than accept any fault there end. Shocking service. Also going use chargeback to get back my money.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Scan are awful, I've had several bad experiences with them.

Good luck with your case - avoid this supplier in future.

I can remember several years ago returning a Creative Fatality soundcard that came in two units, the card and a front case mounting interface.

Scan accused me of substituting the interface they sent with a faulty one of my own I already had, citing the serial number. I pointed out that there was no serial number on the interface, only on the card, and they relented and refunded.

Had I not taken note of the serial number location and lack of serial number on one component they'd have had me over a barrel.

Even though I get free postage with Scan (Hexus forum member) they can go get stuffed.

Reaction score
Well finally some good news, Today i got email from Dawn saying director has given the go ahead to send me new processor , So thankfully this end with good news. But it been good learning curve my end :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one. Bit of an odd situation this, glad its been resolved.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I can only assume someone deemed you were right all along and have come to their senses ... hope you do actually receive what you paid for. :)

Reaction score
Yes Scan do have a bad reputation from what I have read on other sites and now on this one. So many people have not been so lucky in the past.

Reaction score
Hi Guys recived processor today , So sorted motherboard and CPU , PC purring and now come pay day , time to upgrade card to Geforce 980 Ti. Will have to study reviews on hardware to find which Geforce 980 TI to buy :) , then am also investing in 32gb of ram and really beautful case :) and l will be very happy happy chappy :)

Ask a Question