Scan.co.uk - Disgusted

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought i'd share with you my recent---and last experience with Scan

3 weeks ago I bought a mobo, cpu and 2 sticks of ram from scan. Ordered on the thursday, came on friday (To be honest the fast delivery is because of citylink, not scan!)

Anyway went to build up the system and the mobo wouldn't post. Called up scan did the usual with the technical support, and finally got an RMA number. They wanted everything back so they could pinpoint the problem themselves.

They picked it up on the monday, tested it on the tuesday and found a fault with the mobo and one stick of ram.

In the meantime I bought a 19" iilyama monitor which arrived the day after ordering. now just need the pc!

2 WEEKS later i was tired of seeing the online status not get dispatched so I called them and told them I needed the system for the weekend. Guess what? CHARGED ME AGAIN for saturday delivery. They said it was an excess otherwise I'd get it monday but you tell me what they've done with the stuff for the past two weeks???????

Item turned up this saturday, they appear to have tested the new mobo and ram as everything was preinstalled on the mobo......but they didn't bother putting the CPU spacer on. Cheers guys!

So i go to build it and guess what?? They've gone and left the CPU cooler off. Where is it? No idea.(it was a amdxp64 box set) So on the phone again, customer service to get tech support call me back. Did they?? Still no call.

Off down the shops to buy a new CPU cooler anyway.

Guess what, built the system, everything works BUT the goddamn monitor IS DOA! No lights NOTHING.

So now i've gotta mess around AGAIN to get an RMA and hope they don't fob me off saying the warrenty is with Iilyama cause they'l online do a swap service and give me a bloody refurb.

I'm starting to think that scan use B grade products cause this is unreal. NEVER in my entire PC building life have i had so many problems, and so many faults. Out of around 80 AMDXP64 systems i've built (Most using the same MSI mobo) i've never had a fault.

Until now.

Reaction score
definately not the first time i've heard of probs with scan.

never used them myself.

Reaction score
I used to live in bolton so whenever anything was wrong you could just pop in, they'd test it there and then and replace as necessary.

But it's simply that they don't look after existing customers, only interested in new orders. To be fair nearly every business is after new customers but a little decency in looking after the old ones would do wonders.

Reaction score
UPDATE **************

Ok so after wasting over £20's worth on calls to scan i'm still no further.

I've moaned until i'm blue in the face about charging me for saturday delivery then sending me the CPU cooler the following tuesday and all they're willing to do is offer me £10 of my next purchase. BUT I'M NEVER GOING TO USE THEM AGAIN :mad:

And as for the monitor don't get me started.

I paid £107 for the monitor. Sent it BACK to scan for a refund because it was dead on arrivial and they're only offering to pay be £97 back. IE CHARGING ME FOR SHIPPING COSTS EVEN THOUGH IT WAS DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

This isn't the last they're gonna here and i've refused the refund. I'm on my way down to scans headquarters in Bolton this weekend...a nice 130 mile round trip from where I live...because i'm sick of getting no answers and this simply CRAP service.

I work for a large computer firm myself and everyone where I work can't believe it!

Scan?? should be more like SCAM if you ask me.

Reaction score
Ive never had problems with scan myself, but that could be because i order my items through one of the employees, ill talk to him about the poor service, see if he can pull some fingers out

Reaction score
Hi.

I understand this topic is roughly 2 years old, but I would like to post my story with Scan.co.uk. Yes, I registered purely to post this.

About 6-8 weeks ago, I planned some hardware out to rebuild 2 of my computers (desktop and server) with socket 939. I shopped around eBuyer, Dabs, Scan and Aria to find the best prices for each item of hardware I'd listed.

Scan offered the following hardware at the lowest price:
  1. AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ (quantity: 2, one for each machine)
  2. Corsair TwinX 2048 2x1GB PC3200 (quantity: 4, 4gb per machine)
  3. Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA2 (quantity: 2, just for the server)
  4. Dual 12" UV Cathodes
  5. 120mm Case Fan
The other hardware from Aria, Dabs and eBuyer arrived in under a week. Only the keyboard from Dabs was faulty, but I'd like to compliment them on their excellent returns service. I reported it, they picked it up 2 days later and gave me a refund on the 3rd day.

2 weeks after I ordered, I queried my order. They said the CPUs was out of stock and they couldn't get a lead date. I decided to wait a bit longer.

3 weeks after I ordered, I queried it again. The CPUs was in stock, but now the hard disks were not. I am real ****ed. Why couldn't they reserve them when they WERE in stock? Complete stupidity.

1 month later, my stuff from Scan still hasn't arrived, and I'm fuming; absolutely fuming. I told them I'm getting really annoyed with this, the delay is absolutely unacceptable, and said "those items now being out of stock is not an excuse, why couldn't they be reserved before?" They fob me off with "Our warehouse manager is looking into it and we'll get back to you in a few hours".

A week after that arrived (that's right, a week), I query it YET AGAIN. Got an email saying my order has been dispatched. I'm thinking "about f***ing time".

Next thing 2 days ago, I get another email saying that the case fan, cathodes, and RAM were out of stock. No words will explain how ****ed off I was. They also said "phone this number and we'll ship them to you for free in a seperate order later on" which would probably cost me 50p+ a minute. I replied "No don't bother. Just send me the stuff you got now, and refund me the rest." That was 20 minutes ago.

Waiting on a refund of £600 for the RAM etc, going to have to order RAM, cathodes, and fan off Dabs now. Thank god for that, I can trust them.

Never in my life have I experianced such poor service and business management. I thought Sainsbury's were bad! Either their staff are complete monkey-spunk retards who can't build a lego puzzle, or a bunch of scamming lowlife criminals subscribed to fob-off weekly. Chose one, any one. Either way I can be certain I will never be ordering from Scam.co.uk ever again.

Thanks to Dabs, eBuyer, and Aria for great service.

Reaction score
Well, here's my 10p worth.

Ordered mobo, ram, graphics card etc.

mobo defective (asus), sent back, to avoid delay, bought another mobo from scan.

still defective. sent it back for full refund. no refund, instead back to manufacturer for testing...hmmm...

bought a Gigabyte board locally. worked ok, but the graphics card (bought from scan) didn't work.

sent graphics card back to scan.

by this point they started to tell me I had damaged the graphics card.

emailed, no joy...told me to p-off basically.

so I had to do a 2 page letter to my credit card company reversing the charges from scan.

THEN scan told me 'the graphics card is defective as are the mobos' and offered me a refund.

what a pollava. Now I buy my pc stuff locally usually, so I can easily return if there is a problem.

I think scan might sell defective components. Their customer services sucks and they are total ***-**** (Ady Edit: mind the language please;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Nice to hear it's not just me having problems with them, still.

My advise is to spend a couple of quid more and go to reliable retailers like Dabs and eBuyer. Dabs seem to have THE best returns system I've experienced.

If your product was bought 28 days ago or less, they give you a refund.
If your product was bought more than 28 days ago and up to 6 months ago, they send it back to the manufacture for testing / repair.
They pay for the collection, you specify the date.

Older than 6 months means you have to deal with the manufacture yourself.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, good to see these postings, although personally I've never had a problem with Scan.

There again, I've only used them about six times in as many years and have never had to negotiate an RMA.

The same with Dabs, excellent packaging, really quick delivery but never had to go through the RMA process with them, so I just don't know what they're really like.

As for E-Buyer, you have got to be joking, they're rubbish. For me they've mislaid orders, taken 4 weeks to turn around one faulty stick of RAM, sent the wrong stuff and their packaging is flimsy, to say the least.

Must confess, over the last year, only supplier I've used is Overclockers.co.uk, for me, they've been very good, no probs with the one RMA (a video card) I had to do, 3 day turnaround.

Reaction score
my 2p:

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE MORONS.
Ordered a PC case and scheduled the delivery date. Cancelled the order about a week before the delivery date.

Was sent an email reassuring me that the order had been cancelled.
Waited a few days for a refund, nothing. Be patient.

Delivery day comes. PC case arrives. WHAT THE F*CK? I CANCELLED THE ORDER. Delivery guy makes me take the item, despite me saying I had cancelled it.
Several emails ensued to organise a pickup from my home.

1)Work 5 days a week, so can't do normal business hour pickup
2)Do not have a car and cannot carry and walk/cycle to nearest post depot
3)Could have organised a courier/delivery pickup from home on a weekend but Scan would not pay for it, could only cover £10 of the postage, quote was for £18
SERIOUSLY, NOT MY COCK UP WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY WHEN YOU ALREADY CHARGED ME £145.79 FOR AN ITEM YOU SAID WAS ALREADY CANCELLED.

Now have had to take a day off work just to wait for a f*cking delivery guy to pick this f*cking thing up.
NEVER EVER BEEN SO ANGRY AT A COMPANY IN MY LIFE.

F*CKING LOW LIFE SCAm.CO.UK

sorry about the language but i'm very very annoyed. still waiting for my refund 2 weeks later...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
yoppity said:
holy thread revival batman.

lol

Quite :mad:

In future mr yoppity, please start a fresh thread, not resurect a thread that was started around five and a half years ago.

Thank you.

And welcome to the Forum :)

Reaction score
:D thanks

good to see they've learnt how to deal with complaints and improved their customer service over the last 5 years though.

Reaction score
SCAM.CO.UK ! ! ! ! !

Do not be fooled by Scan's competitive prices ironically it comes at a cost !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a manager of an electronics company on line and decided to upgrade my monitor. I noticed that Scan.co.uk were selling items on eBay and so I purchased an Asus monitor from them, the picture quality on the screen was terrible (Ghosting) and decided to send it back after 2 days out the box.
I contacted scan and arranged for the monitor to be returned and did so in the box, polystyrene in-set, and covers it came with, and in faith I purchased another monitor from them which was of better quality.

After what seemed like a while I received an email saying the Warranty was refused ???? Warranty ???? I sent the item back for its poor performance I wasn't asking or insisting anything to do with warranty it's a couple of days old !!!!

I phoned Customer service and I use that term loosely and they insist I will not receive a refund because of scratches ??
Obviously annoyed I asked to see a picture and I receive what I can only describe as a sub standard camera phone picture of the monitor which has thumb marks and packaging marks (polystyrene) all over it, they didn't even wipe the monitor down after putting they're greasy paws on it before taking a picture it was horrendous.

After much hassle I'm told I will not receive a refund, please think long and hard before choosing SCAM.CO.UK just look at they're track record on review sites it is very telling. I wish I had spent an extra £50 and done without this experience, take my and other customers experiences as a warning and stay away from them.

Reaction score
Yeah. I thought I had replied to this thread because I am subscribed to it, and I must have had a similar story to share but once upon a time I bought a motherboard from scan and had been using it for a long time. Due to some faulty over clocking software from a reputable software vendor burning out my north bridge, I tried to warranty it (or something like that). I have been building PCs for a while and have never had issues with my installation or uninstallation method. Suffice it to say, when I sent the motherboard back and Scan were testing it, they voided the warranty so I suspect by sticking a screwdriver into the CPU pins and twisting them, blaming me for it and saying there is nothing they can do about it. I had sent the board back in a lot of bubble wrap having carefully packaged it and my CPU was obviously removed and reused in the next build and for me to somehow have borked the pins on the board when my northbridge chips were beat up is beyond me. Anyway. The warning here is that, sometimes these guys take it upon themselves to be above the rules. They know that some customers overclock and bend the rules to get refunds/replacements and it probably ****es them off, but they also take the **** every now and then because this was clearly malicious damage on their part to void the warranty and screw me over. So I understand where you are coming from Mr Broken Monitor Guy, but overall I think they are pretty OK, but yeah. Have had some bad experiences with them. But I've had equally bad experiences with most of these companies from time to time.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My goodness, this thread is almost as old as I am :)

Twice this year I've purchased two items from Spam, both of which went faulty on me, they cost £12.50 and £11.25 to be returned for replacement respectively.

Scam gave me £5 towards the postage cost for each of them but only after I had to go out of my way to ask for it.

Their attitude is arrogant, unhelpful and they go out of their way to make the customer feel they are in the wrong.

I've had it with them, I use E-Buyer most of the time now, very good, very helpful, don't qibble about refunds and give up to £10 towards postage costs when returning rma's.

You have been warned :)

Ask a Question