    Can anybody help me with this? I am really lost!
    Thanks a lot!!!
    kawet

    kawet, Nov 16, 2006

  2. kawet

    Roby Guest

    kawet wrote:

    > Hi everybody!
    > My computer used to work perfectly fine, and then a few days ago it
    > doesn't want to boot anymore and I get this message "SBMK Bad!". I have
    > no idea what this means and went looking on the web to see that it has
    > something to do with Smart Boot Manager...
    > Before, I had a menu to choose whether I wanted XP, Me or Linux to
    > launch when my computer started but I did not install this myself and I
    > would like to know if I can get rid of that "menu" if that could be the
    > problem related to SBMK Bad? I managed to launch my XP thanks to a boot
    > floppy disk but would like to get rid of that error message.
    > Can anybody help me with this? I am really lost!
    > Thanks a lot!!!
    > kawet

    Ah, the infamous "SMBK Bad!" message. Yes, that's from Smart Boot Manager.
    Apparently, it was installed on the master boot record of your hard drive,
    and the menu is SMB asking which boot loader you wish to load.

    Linux usually boots from either grub or lilo ... you most likely have one
    of these already in your linux install. Either can put up a boot menu
    that allows you to boot a selected o/s. For sure, the list includes
    linux, ME, DOS ... and probably XP as well. So one option is to install
    grub or lilo in the mbr and use it. The other option is to put XP's
    boot thingy back in the mbr and have it provide the boot menu. I don't
    do windows, but I'm sure there are others here who can help with this
    option. Option 3: download SBM and re-install it on the hard drive to
    restore things as they were before you broke the SMBK.

    So how would you like to proceed?

    Roby

    Roby, Nov 16, 2006

  3. kawet

    kawet Guest

    Hi Roby,

    Thanks very much for your help! I actually would like to get rid of
    that menu as I would like to delete my Me and Linux to get some place
    back on the harddrive as I never use those 2! So your option to "to put
    XP's boot thingy back in the mbr and have it provide the boot menu"
    would be GREAT! Can anybody help with that?
    Thanks a lot!!!
    kawet

    kawet, Nov 16, 2006
  4. kawet

    MF Guest

    "kawet" <> wrote in message
    Hi Roby,

    Thanks very much for your help! I actually would like to get rid of
    that menu as I would like to delete my Me and Linux to get some place
    back on the harddrive as I never use those 2! So your option to "to put
    XP's boot thingy back in the mbr and have it provide the boot menu"
    would be GREAT! Can anybody help with that?
    Thanks a lot!!!
    kawet

    You need to do the following running as the administrator.

    Boot XP with your floppy. put in your XP CD. Close the auto run menu. go
    to the command prompt and type X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons.

    See if it installs. If it does, reboot normally and see if your boot thingy
    is repaired.

    If it is not repaired, boot from the XP CD. proceed as if going to install,
    then choose the option to repair (R) when it appears. choose Repair Console
    as the method of repair. when it comes up, at the prompt, type fixmbr

    If that doesn't do it, boot the CD as before. this time type fixboot.

    If that doesn't do it (it should) do a repair installation (inplace upgrade:
    Start the install process and tell it you want to upgrade and pick the drive
    XP is on) of XP. that should save your settings and fix the boot problem.

    If nothing works, go to google and type fix mbr. Read. then type fix boot.
    read.

    Google is your friend.

    MF, Nov 16, 2006
  5. kawet

    kawet Guest

    Hi again,
    I tried the first solution, the console installed but then nothing
    happened, after booting the PC, I did not find anything in the menu as
    indicated.
    Then I tried the fixmbr, and I had a message that all my partitions
    might become unavailable so I cancelled the action. Is that really a
    possibility that everything becomes unavailable??
    I tried fixboot, it did something but I had the SBMK Bad again :-(
    and finally, I tried the repair installation and it did not help
    either... I am starting to desesperate!!!!!!
    anybody has an idea? in the meantime, I will be using google friend...
    thanks!!!
    kawet

    kawet, Nov 17, 2006
  6. kawet

    kawet Guest

    my boot.ini:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

    don't know if that helps...

    kawet, Nov 17, 2006
  7. kawet

    MF Guest

    your mbr contains a list of your partitions, a flag on the active partition,
    and a bit of code that locates the partition boot sector and the OS boot
    loader. so, yes, any time you touch it, everything on your drive may
    disappear. you can probably get it back, though.

    your boot.ini says that XP is on the first partition of the first drive on
    the first controller (ide channel).
    is that correct? running fixboot _should_ have ensured that it is.

    if so,

    check in your cmos setup program to see if some sort of bios virus detection
    is enabled. if it is, turn it off, (and leave it off) save, and try to
    boot. if it works, fine; if not:

    back up everything you need including the os partition. run the recovery
    console and fixmbr. just because msft says something might happen doesn't
    mean it will :) and you'll have your back up if it does. i hate to say
    this, but fix the mbr by fixing the mbr by running fixmbr from the recovery
    console.

    in addition to boot.ini, windows needs ntldr and ntdetect.com to boot. all
    in the root of the c: drive.
    it's possible that one or both are missing or corrupt (although you usually
    get an error message if they are). You can replace them with the
    corresponding files from the i386 directory on your xp CD, or from whatever
    service pack you have installed, which is what you should do if you have
    installed a service pack. to get them out of the service pack executable,
    open it with WinRar (winzip should work) and extract the two files. then
    just copy them to the root of the c: drive. you may have to first remove
    the read only attribute from the originals.

    if none of this works, it is possible that the first sector of the drive is
    damaged - though that seems unlikely, because if it were, damage would
    probably show up elsewhere on the drive as well. but you can try running the
    drive manufacturers diagnostic utility against the drive. if nothing else
    has worked and the drive looks okay, as roby said, you could try
    re-installing SBM - or some other boot manager, since it looks like you are
    better off without SBM. there are lots of other boot managers.

    good luck

    Mike

    MF, Nov 17, 2006