Saving jpg files

G

I just got Windows XP with Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

When I save .jpg files from the internet with my own name, I have to manually add the .jpg extension even though the 'Save Picture As' box recognizes the 'save as type' ad JPEG(*.jpg)

I've read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 324761 & 326675, and these don't apply to me as it happens after I've cleared both the Cache, cookies, and files. This also happens using both ATT and Earthlink as ISPs

This did NOT happen with my old system with Windows 98 and Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.10061S

I don't want to have to type in the extension every time, especially since the system recognizes it as a .jpg. Do I have to uninstall the current IE version and install the older version? Or is there something I can do with the new version

Again, this only happens now when I rename the file before saving it, and didn't happen on my old system

Thanks
Romas
tenni
commercia

M

Malvern

I save them with the name the computer assigns (picture 1, picture 2,
etc.),which gets the extension. I then go back later and rename as wanted;
the .jpg extension sticks.

Malv

romaso said:
I just got Windows XP with Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633.

When I save .jpg files from the internet with my own name, I have to
manually add the .jpg extension even though the 'Save Picture As' box
recognizes the 'save as type' ad JPEG(*.jpg).
I've read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 324761 & 326675, and these
don't apply to me as it happens after I've cleared both the Cache, cookies,
and files. This also happens using both ATT and Earthlink as ISPs.
This did NOT happen with my old system with Windows 98 and Internet
Explorer version 6.0.2800.10061S.
I don't want to have to type in the extension every time, especially since
the system recognizes it as a .jpg. Do I have to uninstall the current IE
version and install the older version? Or is there something I can do with
the new version.
Again, this only happens now when I rename the file before saving it, and
didn't happen on my old system.

S

Sharon F

I just got Windows XP with Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633.

When I save .jpg files from the internet with my own name, I have to manually add the .jpg extension even though the 'Save Picture As' box recognizes the 'save as type' ad JPEG(*.jpg).

I've read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 324761 & 326675, and these don't apply to me as it happens after I've cleared both the Cache, cookies, and files. This also happens using both ATT and Earthlink as ISPs.

This did NOT happen with my old system with Windows 98 and Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.10061S.

I don't want to have to type in the extension every time, especially since the system recognizes it as a .jpg. Do I have to uninstall the current IE version and install the older version? Or is there something I can do with the new version.

Again, this only happens now when I rename the file before saving it, and didn't happen on my old system.

Thanks!
Romaso
tennis
commercial

Do you have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options> View
on or off?

If this is off and known extensions are showing, you need to type them in
along with the file name. If it is on, selecting the file type in the save
dialog box is sufficient and it does not have to be typed.

Have mixed feelings about this setting: showing extensions is more secure
but it's less convenient.

Ask a Question