SATA HDD but bios thinks it is IDE

Reaction score
when i am setting up boot order it lists my HDD as IDE. but they are ATA. i have looked at there settings and the only way i can get my BIOS to recognise them is to have S-ATA and P-ATA support and have SATA as 1st. i'm not sure what the difference between the two is but they both have there own cable and are plugged into ports next to each other. seems i have a few troubles

HDD are both Samsung SpinPoint P SP1213C 120GB SATA 8MB Cache

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, let me clear something up ... ALL hard drives are ATA ;)

ATA (IDE) drives are called these days PATA drives, Parallel ATA and sometimes UDMA 100/133

The newer drives are Serial ATA drives ... SATA

So you have a PC then?

Reaction score
sorry about that, i didn't know that. i think i mean they are SATA, as they use those little cables that connect like this ¬. and i bought them as SATA hard drives.

Reaction score
eeer, ok, just had things explained to me, can someone delete this entire discusion to save me the embarisment.....

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
how much ££ you got ... ;)

aw, come on, what was the answer. ;)

You are not the first ... and you will not be the last. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Haha, don't worry about it paddy, reminds me of the first time I bought a RAID board and wondered why I couldn't see the hard drive AT ALL. lol ;)

Glad you got it sorted.

Ask a Question