Samsung ML-1710...Why all the disagreement?

Discussion in 'Printers' started by mpsan, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. mpsan

    mpsan Guest

    Hello ALL:

    I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
    an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

    I can use a second printer and I am sick of throwing out Dried Out
    Lexmark Z51 Inkjet Ink! I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is
    "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi. True, but my HP is only 300 dpi. Also,
    the HP is 4 PPM and this is 17 PPM.

    Some love this printer and others say it is very bad...can't even read
    text!

    Some say that paper curls so much going thru it that printing on 2
    sides does not work. Others say "dude...stop using cheap paper"

    I know for this price it will not be perfect, but just how bad is it,
    and will it be at least as good (maybe faster)than my old HP III-P,
    and free of paper jams?

    Of course others say the Brother 1440 is better but I like the way the
    Samsung has the toner and drum as one. I think that is why my 13+ year
    old HP is doing so well. I just need a second printer.

    TIA, for any help

    mpsan, Mar 16, 2004

  2. mpsan

    Tom Scales Guest

    I have one and am very pleased with it. Let's face it, it doesn't cost much
    more than a cartridge!

    It's not fancy, but it works fine for my home office. Haven't tried to print
    double sided, but I use decent paper and it doesn't curl at all, so it
    should be fine. I have mine on a Linksys wireless printer server, so it is
    convenient for the whole family.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 16, 2004

  3. mpsan

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (mpsan) wrote in

    > I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
    > an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

    At this price ... you can't complain!

    > I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi

    600dpi is more than enough.

    I miss my trusty HP 6L Printer I gave my younger brother. That was a trusty
    laser printer.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Mar 17, 2004
  4. mpsan

    MPSAN Guest

    Thanks everyone. It does sound good.

    Lucas Tam <> wrote in

    MPSAN, Mar 17, 2004
  5. mpsan

    MPSAN Guest

    Thanks Tom. Are you using a USB server then? I have a parallel server so
    the ML-1710 will not work on it!

    MPSAN, Mar 17, 2004
  6. mpsan

    Don Perley Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:54:17 -0500, MPSAN wrote:

    >>> I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
    >>> an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

    >> At this price ... you can't complain!

    One downside is that the $79 is after big rebates so you have to shell
    out $200 now and get the rest back maybe in a couple of months.

    If it is reliable then by the time the rebate check comes it would pay for
    itself compared to what ink costs for my old canon inkjet.

    Don Perley, Mar 17, 2004
  7. mpsan () writes:
    > Hello ALL:
    >
    > I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
    > an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.
    >
    > I can use a second printer and I am sick of throwing out Dried Out
    > Lexmark Z51 Inkjet Ink! I see some say this Samsung is NG as it is
    > "only" 600dpi and not 1200 dpi. True, but my HP is only 300 dpi. Also,
    > the HP is 4 PPM and this is 17 PPM.

    Just print a text print once a week. My Z52 was banding today because I
    hadn't used it in a week, but a quick dab with a damp cloth and a test
    print cleared everything up pronto.

    Brendan

    Brendan R. Wehrung, Mar 17, 2004
  8. mpsan

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, I'm using the Linksys WPS54GU2 print server. It supports two printers,
    one USB and one Parallel (handy, since I also have an Epson inkjet). The
    only thing I have discovered is that the WPS54GU2 will work either wired or
    wireless. When I try to run it wired, it seems to 'forget' that the ML1710
    is attached after about 15 minutes. When I run it wireless, it works
    flawlessly. Seems silly to run it wirelessly, since it is sitting two feet
    from the router, but, hey, it works!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 17, 2004
  9. mpsan

    mpsan Guest

    Well, BestBuy has it as one $120 rebate.

    mpsan, Mar 17, 2004
  10. mpsan

    mpsan Guest

    It seems strange. Have you asked them what is wrong? I do not have
    wireless. I ran cat5e everywhere. :)

    mpsan, Mar 17, 2004
  11. mpsan

    mpsan Guest

    My problem is that I am beyond doing that...again! The Black and color
    are dried out. The Photo is OK, but I can buy this printer for the
    cost of a new b/w and color Lexmark Cart.

    mpsan, Mar 17, 2004
  12. mpsan

    Tom Scales Guest

    Linksys was clueless -- I tried their live chat. They didn't even understand
    what their own products could do. I suspect it is solvable, but I didn't
    care enough to try.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 17, 2004
  13. mpsan

    R Barr Guest

    mpsan wrote:
    > Hello ALL:
    >
    > I see this printer now for $79.95 after rebates everywhere. I now have
    > an HP IIIP and it works well...slow, but well.

    > I know for this price it will not be perfect, but just how bad is it,
    > and will it be at least as good (maybe faster)than my old HP III-P,
    > and free of paper jams?
    >
    > Of course others say the Brother 1440 is better but I like the way the
    > Samsung has the toner and drum as one. I think that is why my 13+ year
    > old HP is doing so well. I just need a second printer.
    >
    > TIA, for any help

    I've been using its predecessor, the 1210, since that was the newest
    monochrome laser out there. Pretty much the same creature. I paid $150
    + tax, and that was a bargain.

    This thing handles anything I throw at it. I use dirt-cheap recycled
    paper, I use cheap envelopes, and I frequently print double-sided; I
    think there have been one or two feed problems all told, and those
    incidents involved the paper folding on itself. No jams, no crumpling.
    2 or three sheets out of perhaps 3,000. Not bad.

    My only complaint would be an occasional dark smear at the top 1/4" of a
    sheet, and that hasn't happened in a very long time.

    Replenishing the toner is super-cheap and simple, and the results are
    great. Someday I'll replace it, if it ever wears out. When that
    happens, I'll look for another Samsung.

    R Barr, Mar 17, 2004
  14. mpsan

    MPSAN Guest

    Good news. Also, I wonder if the ml-1710 will turn itself on by just
    printing to it, like my friends Brother and my Canon i850?

    R Barr <> wrote in news:cF26c.35623$PY.10009
    @newssvr26.news.prodigy.com:

    MPSAN, Mar 18, 2004
  15. mpsan

    Doug Guest

    Doug, Mar 20, 2004
  16. mpsan

    Den Guest

    The 1710 goes into standby after a user settable time. This turns off
    the heaters etc. The printer stays on. A print to the 1710 wakes it
    up. The first sheet takes about 30 seconds or so for it to warm up
    then it flies at normnal speed.
    Tis is a GREAT pronter, I am very happy with it.
    Den

    Den, Apr 7, 2004