Samsung Electronics Exiting HDD Business, Seagate to Buy

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Such a shame... :(

WD it is for me then.

Korean multinational conglomerate Samsung is planning to sell its hard disk drive (HDD) business held by Samsung Electronics. The company wants to focus on other kinds of storage products that are flash-based. Samsung is planning to sell the unit for an estimated US $1.5 billion. HDD major Seagate Technology is the front-runner to buy it. The HDD industry is under pressure after the market success of tablet and netbook industries, which use more compact and inexpensive SSDs instead of 1.8-inch HDDs. With Samsung's exit, the consumer HDD industry will be reduced to just three players: Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba.
Source = Techpowerup

Attachments

• samsung.gif
    samsung.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 298

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Don't know what all the fuss is about, one hard disk much the same as another.

I do believe that Seagate also own Maxtor which brings them periously close to now having a near monopoly of the market, which is bad news.

Hope you have better luck than I've had with Western Digital, they've had the highest failure rate with me over a fifteen year period.

I've been using Hitachi & Samsung for the past few years, had two Samsungs fail so far and no Hitachis.

But, I've said it before I'll say it again - it's the batch, the factory, more than the label.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure you're right about the batch/factory making the biggest difference Flops, but I'm still sad to see Samsung go. I've got 4/5 Samsung drives at the moment (1 portable backup, 2 in the NAS, 1 in my PC) and they are fast, quiet and cheap - although I'm expecting one to fail now that I've said that ;).

Although SSDs are coming down in price and going up in capacity, it still looks like it's going to be quite a few years before they take over mechanical drives for mass storage. Hopefully this step from Samsung will speed up this process.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
HDD's will be round for a long while yet. SSD's are still to much $$$ for now.

Ask a Question