Samsung’s Galaxy Note Unpacked 2016 (Note 7 Launch)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Well they seem to be going about things the right way, but I sure am glad I didn't go for the Note 7! Such a shame that this happened, as with all the gripes about the new iPhone Samsung could have really stood out here (for the right reasons).

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Eek, that's terrible! Hope it hasn't caused any permanent injury! :eek:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looks like Samsung are soon to announce a mandatory recall of all affected handsets.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
...and again - but this time its an S7 Edge. Although I'd assume this is a badly timed freak accident rather than a defective design like in the Note 7 due to how long the phones been around.

https://www.classaction.com/news/exploding-galaxy-edge-s7-causes-3rd-degree-burns-man/

EDIT: Another S7 did the same! But I don't trust this one, something seems off. Its in The Sun for one, and looks more like a fog machine.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17721...in-teachers-hands-in-the-middle-of-busy-cafe/

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Seems The Sun will go to any lengths to set up a fake story.

I wonder if Apple paid them to rig that one :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Oh dear, not good! Such a shame this whole thing happened, it's going to cause significant problems for Samsung and I really like their phones... although to be fair, mine have never exploded.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ths isn't looking good for the Note 7 is it.

AT&T halting Samsung Galaxy Note 7 sales following multiple fires with replacement phones:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13219054/att-samsung-galaxy-note-7-stop-sales

AT&T is discontinuing all sales and exchanges of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones following a number of fires caused by supposedly "safe" phones that had been replaced under recall.

"Based on recent reports, we’re no longer exchanging new Note 7s at this time, pending further investigation of these reported incidents," said an AT&T spokesperson in a statement toThe Verge. "We still encourage customers with a recalled Note 7 to visit an AT&T location to exchange that device for another Samsung smartphone or other smartphone of their choice."

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Eek, that isn't good at all! I wonder what kind of impact this will have on the company long term. Even the replacements seem to have issues, so I think it's a good call for distributors to take them off sale.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
"We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.

We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available."

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...note7-while-further-investigation-takes-place

:eek:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
In a bid to retain customers, Samsung Electronics is giving larger financial incentives to people who choose to exchange the ill-fated Galaxy Note7 for another smartphone from the company, rather than seek a refund.

In the U.S., the company is giving customers a $25 bill credit through carriers and retailers to customers who return a Note7 for a refund or for any other branded smartphone. But if they choose to exchange the Note7 for any Samsung smartphone, they will get a whopping $100 bill credit from select retailers and carriers. The company did not immediately provide further details on the program.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...s-recall-deals-to-retain-note7-customers.html

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lots of people here seem to be getting S7 Edge as a replacement with some kind of refund to make the difference up, or just a straight up refund.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Samsung is setting up Note 7 exchange booths at airports around the world

Samsung is setting up Galaxy Note 7 exchange booths in airports around the world, hoping to stop customers taking the dangerous device onto flights at the last minute. The first of these new "customer service points" appear to have been introduced in South Korean airports, but Samsung has confirmed the booths are opening in airports across Australia, with reports of the desks appearing in the US as well.

The booths are located in "high-traffic terminals" before security screening, says Samsung, and allow Note 7 owners to swap their phone for an unspecified exchange device. According to a report from ABC7News in San Francisco — where a Samsung exchange desk has appeared at the city's international airport — employees for the tech company are on hand to help customers transfer their data onto a new phone.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Samsung will reveal the cause of the Galaxy Note 7’s exploding battery this Sunday

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14331316/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-investigation-findings-cause

Samsung announced today that it would reveal its investigative findings on the recalled Galaxy Note 7 this Sunday evening. The press conference is taking place in Seoul, South Korea on Monday, January 23rd at 10AM. Due to the time difference, it will be live streamed for English speakers at 8PM ET on Sunday, January 22nd.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It looks like the S7 hardware won't go to waste:

Samsung Electronics has established three principles to ensure that Galaxy Note 7 devices are recycled and processed in an environmentally-friendly manner.

First, devices shall be considered to be used as refurbished phones or rental phones where applicable.

Second, salvageable components shall be detached for reuse.

Third, processes such as metals extraction shall be performed using environmentally friendly methods.

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...-7-devices-in-an-environmentally-friendly-way

Ask a Question