Runtime Error start-up problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Sylvia M, Sep 12, 2009.

  1. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    I'm running Win XP Media Center Ed2005, with XP3, allowing all updates.

    For the last 2 days, when starting up or restarting, I get this error
    message window:

    Top Bar: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    X in a circle
    C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
    The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
    way.

    So I went to C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe
    and when I hit on it...I get the same window, same message.

    1. what does DISCover do?
    2. If I don't use it for games, can I uninstall DISC?

    What now?

    T.I.A.

    Sylvia M.

    Sylvia M, Sep 12, 2009

  2. Sylvia M

    db Guest

    not sure what that program does.

    but whatever it should be doing
    is not happening.

    hence the message citing an error
    with running it.

    so it would be safe to say that if
    the computer is functioning ok
    without it,

    then you can do some tuning up
    to avoid the error message.

    the message is likely being generated
    from the startup sequence for windows.

    so click on start>run>msconfig.

    then under the startup tab uncheck
    any line that references that file name
    you mentioned.

    if you are not sure, then uncheck
    everything and jot down which ones
    they were on paper.

    now go to the services tabe, "hide"
    all microsoft services.

    then what remains, uncheck those
    as well.

    jot them too if you want.

    now reboot.

    if all goes as planned, you should have
    successfully disabled a startup or service
    that was targeting that file you mentioned.

    -----------------
    in regards to all the line items that you
    disabled / unchecked;

    you can review them carefully to see
    which are vital to run at startup times.

    many programs add junk to the startup
    sequence which can cause your pc to
    perform poorly.

    if you have any doubts, you can list the
    on your reply and we can let you know
    which are ok to start up with the system
    and which can be canned.

    --
    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
    DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

    "share the nirvana mann" - dbZen

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    db, Sep 12, 2009

  3. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    Thanks dbb,
    What I did was about what you suggested:
    ran: msconfg

    on startup
    unchecked...

    DISCover
    Realsched
    dumprep 0 -u
    AdobeUpdateManager
    Microsoft Greetings
    Registry Booster
    IndexSearch [scansearch(paper Port)]
    QTTask
    SSBkgdupdate [Scansoft shared}
    jusched.exe Java

    I left: ARPWRMSG.EXE
    I'll check out what it is later.

    then, Hide: all microsoft,
    Left Norton 360
    left Semantec
    unchecked all others

    When I restarted, I got this window, threatening to show up all the
    time!
    "System Configuration Utility

    You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the
    way Windows starts.
    [Yup, I did!]

    The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective
    Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to
    run every time Windows starts.
    [Ohhh Noooo!]

    Chose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows
    normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration
    Utility."
    [But dbb said it was O.K. to do, and I was glad to get rid of some of
    those items that were slowing down start-up...Especially the DISCover
    problem!]

    Oh...O.K....
    I see it also has a little check-box saying: "Don't show this message
    or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start"

    So O.K. I guess I should just check that box and be happy, huh?

    Thanks for your advice and help. Consider this feedback unless
    something else goes wrong ;-)

    Thanks,

    Sylvia M

    Sylvia M, Sep 14, 2009