    Microsoft patches applied.

    Thanks in advance

    -AH

    Andrew Hamilton, Feb 8, 2009

  2. No one here has an idea? Or even an uninformed opinion????

    -AH

    Andrew Hamilton, Feb 15, 2009

  3. Andrew Hamilton

    Gordon Guest

    "Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    >I have three different PST file, in order to keep the size of my main
    > PST file under 1.5 GB. I often have errors and I need to run SCANPST
    > a lot. Obviously scan and repair time is proportional to PST file
    > size.
    >
    > I tried to run SCANPST from a cmd-box by providing the full path of
    > the target PST file as a parameter, but all I got was the standard
    > SCANPST initial window.
    >
    > Is there any tool or script that will allow me to automate this entire
    > process? I am running Office 2003 under Windows XP SP 3 will all
    > Microsoft patches applied.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > -AH

    My I suggest that as Outlook 2003 can use the new Unicode format of pst
    file, which is far more robust than the 97-2002 format, that you change to a
    pst file of that format? (I presume your reason for keeping the file under
    1.5 GB is because you are using an old-format file?)

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Feb 15, 2009
  4. On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:32:31 -0000, "Gordon" <>
    wrote:

    >My I suggest that as Outlook 2003 can use the new Unicode format of pst
    >file, which is far more robust than the 97-2002 format, that you change to a
    >pst file of that format? (I presume your reason for keeping the file under
    >1.5 GB is because you are using an old-format file?)

    Actually I am using the Outlook 2003 Unicode format for my PST file. I
    try to keep the file size down because the larger the file size, the
    longer it takes to do a SCANPST run. I noticed that breaking out part
    of my main PST file into a second file allowed me to shrink the main
    PST file size dramatically.

    Andrew Hamilton, Feb 16, 2009
  5. Andrew Hamilton

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:32:31 -0000, "Gordon" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>My I suggest that as Outlook 2003 can use the new Unicode format of pst
    >>file, which is far more robust than the 97-2002 format, that you change to
    >>pst file of that format? (I presume your reason for keeping the file under
    >>1.5 GB is because you are using an old-format file?)

    > Actually I am using the Outlook 2003 Unicode format for my PST file. I
    > try to keep the file size down because the larger the file size, the
    > longer it takes to do a SCANPST run. I noticed that breaking out part
    > of my main PST file into a second file allowed me to shrink the main
    > PST file size dramatically.

    I can't understand why you are needing to run scanpst so often. The new
    Unicode format can be up to 20GB in size, by default. (It can go much much
    larger.)
    Where is the location of this (these?) pst file(s) ?

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Feb 16, 2009
  6. On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:35:58 -0000, "Gordon" <>
    wrote:

    >"Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:32:31 -0000, "Gordon" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>My I suggest that as Outlook 2003 can use the new Unicode format of pst
    >>>file, which is far more robust than the 97-2002 format, that you change to
    >>>pst file of that format? (I presume your reason for keeping the file under
    >>>1.5 GB is because you are using an old-format file?)

    >> Actually I am using the Outlook 2003 Unicode format for my PST file. I
    >> try to keep the file size down because the larger the file size, the
    >> longer it takes to do a SCANPST run. I noticed that breaking out part
    >> of my main PST file into a second file allowed me to shrink the main
    >> PST file size dramatically.
    >>

    >I can't understand why you are needing to run scanpst so often. The new
    >Unicode format can be up to 20GB in size, by default. (It can go much much
    >larger.)
    >Where is the location of this (these?) pst file(s) ?

    On my local hard disk, but not in the default folder. I always keep
    all my data in a separate partition, so when (not IF) Windows gets
    hosed, I don't lose any of my data.

    Andrew Hamilton, Feb 17, 2009
  7. Andrew Hamilton

    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:35:58 -0000, "Gordon" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message

    >>> Actually I am using the Outlook 2003 Unicode format for my PST file. I
    >>> try to keep the file size down because the larger the file size, the
    >>> longer it takes to do a SCANPST run. I noticed that breaking out part
    >>> of my main PST file into a second file allowed me to shrink the main
    >>> PST file size dramatically.
    >>>

    >>I can't understand why you are needing to run scanpst so often. The new
    >>Unicode format can be up to 20GB in size, by default. (It can go much much
    >>larger.)
    >>Where is the location of this (these?) pst file(s) ?

    > On my local hard disk, but not in the default folder. I always keep
    > all my data in a separate partition, so when (not IF) Windows gets
    > hosed, I don't lose any of my data.

    So what makes you think that you need to run scanpst at all?

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Feb 17, 2009
  8. On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:19:43 -0000, "Gordon" <>
    wrote:

    >>>I can't understand why you are needing to run scanpst so often. The new
    >>>Unicode format can be up to 20GB in size, by default. (It can go much much
    >>>larger.)
    >>>Where is the location of this (these?) pst file(s) ?

    >> On my local hard disk, but not in the default folder. I always keep
    >> all my data in a separate partition, so when (not IF) Windows gets
    >> hosed, I don't lose any of my data.

    >So what makes you think that you need to run scanpst at all?

    Well, sometimes Outlook just shuts down with an "unexpected error" and
    I can choose to report or not to report the problem to MS. Then when
    I restart, Outlook sometimes scans the PST file because it was "shut
    down improperly." Yeah.

    Other times, I can't seem to send or receive email, when my wife's
    system, in the same room as mine, has no problems with email. Once I
    do a SCANPST, and fix the errors, then I can do email with no
    problems.

    It seems that every time I run a SCANPST, I get errors. Is there some
    other tool which can cure this problem?

    I appreciate the help, I really do.

    -AH

    Andrew Hamilton, Feb 18, 2009
  9. "Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message

    > Well, sometimes Outlook just shuts down with an "unexpected error" and
    > I can choose to report or not to report the problem to MS. Then when
    > I restart, Outlook sometimes scans the PST file because it was "shut
    > down improperly." Yeah.
    >
    > Other times, I can't seem to send or receive email, when my wife's
    > system, in the same room as mine, has no problems with email. Once I
    > do a SCANPST, and fix the errors, then I can do email with no
    > problems.
    >
    > It seems that every time I run a SCANPST, I get errors. Is there some
    > other tool which can cure this problem?

    Sounds like you have other issues if every time you run SCANPST you see
    errors. Do you have any add-ins for Outlook? Any antivirus or -spam
    programs integrated into Outlook? Any PDAs? Any third-party search engines
    (e.g., Google Desktop Search)? ITunes? Skype? Plaxo?
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Feb 18, 2009
  10. On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:48:51 -0500, "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]"
    <> wrote:

    >"Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Well, sometimes Outlook just shuts down with an "unexpected error" and
    >> I can choose to report or not to report the problem to MS. Then when
    >> I restart, Outlook sometimes scans the PST file because it was "shut
    >> down improperly." Yeah.
    >>
    >> Other times, I can't seem to send or receive email, when my wife's
    >> system, in the same room as mine, has no problems with email. Once I
    >> do a SCANPST, and fix the errors, then I can do email with no
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> It seems that every time I run a SCANPST, I get errors. Is there some
    >> other tool which can cure this problem?

    >Sounds like you have other issues if every time you run SCANPST you see
    >errors. Do you have any add-ins for Outlook? Any antivirus or -spam
    >programs integrated into Outlook? Any PDAs? Any third-party search engines
    >(e.g., Google Desktop Search)? ITunes? Skype? Plaxo?

    I recently installed Google Desktop search but the problems were
    occurring well before that.

    I have Norton Internet Security 2008 on my system. I use Skype and
    Plaxo but do not have add-ins for either application installed into
    Outlook.

    Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

    Andrew Hamilton, Feb 22, 2009
  11. "Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message

    > I recently installed Google Desktop search but the problems were
    > occurring well before that.
    >
    > I have Norton Internet Security 2008 on my system. I use Skype and
    > Plaxo but do not have add-ins for either application installed into
    > Outlook.

    Do the problems occur if you start Outlook in safe mode? (Press Ctrl when
    you start Outlook.)
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Feb 23, 2009
  12. On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:46:03 -0500, "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]"
    <> wrote:

    >"Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I recently installed Google Desktop search but the problems were
    >> occurring well before that.
    >>
    >> I have Norton Internet Security 2008 on my system. I use Skype and
    >> Plaxo but do not have add-ins for either application installed into
    >> Outlook.

    >Do the problems occur if you start Outlook in safe mode? (Press Ctrl when
    >you start Outlook.)

    Brian,

    Yes. Lately I've been getting this situation: I get the "Outlook has
    experienced an error and must shut down" message, something to that
    effect. It occurred about 10 minutes after I started up Outlook in
    Safe Mode using the CTRL key.

    I was wondering about something. I now have 3 PST files, all Unicode.
    The main file is about 1.5 GB, and the other two are about 500-600 MB
    each. The other two were formerly part of the main PST, so that they
    are relatively new, about 1 month old. The main PST file is probably
    6 years old by now.

    Here is what I am wondering about: When I run a SCANPST, it takes a
    whole lot less time with the two new files than with the main file. Is
    it possible that I need to copy over all the contents of the main PST
    into a "clean" new file? Might there be some deep-seated corruption
    in that main file that SCANPST simply cannot clean out, for whatever
    reason?

    I have a lot of rules set up that move incoming emails to different
    folders, primarily into the main PST file but also into one of the two
    new files. I already discovered that if you move a folder between two
    PST files, Outlook marks the rule has having an error, and I have to
    hand-correct the rule to point to the folder that got moved.

    Thanks for trying to make sense of all this. I hope I was clear.

    -AH

    Andrew Hamilton, Feb 28, 2009
  13. "Andrew Hamilton" <> wrote in message

    > Yes. Lately I've been getting this situation: I get the "Outlook has
    > experienced an error and must shut down" message, something to that
    > effect. It occurred about 10 minutes after I started up Outlook in
    > Safe Mode using the CTRL key.

    Since the problem occurs in safe mode, it indicates no add-in is causing the
    problem. I'd still try to eliminate GDS, Skype, and Plaxo. GDS, in
    particular can interfere even with not being an add-in if it's indexing the
    PST.

    Are there any Outlook-related messages in the Event Log after it shuts down?

    > Here is what I am wondering about: When I run a SCANPST, it takes a
    > whole lot less time with the two new files than with the main file. Is
    > it possible that I need to copy over all the contents of the main PST
    > into a "clean" new file? Might there be some deep-seated corruption
    > in that main file that SCANPST simply cannot clean out, for whatever
    > reason?

    It can't hurt to create a clean PST to be the default, although I wouldn't
    expect a 1.5 GB Unicode PST to be an issue. You might also consider a new
    mail profile

    > I have a lot of rules set up that move incoming emails to different
    > folders, primarily into the main PST file but also into one of the two
    > new files. I already discovered that if you move a folder between two
    > PST files, Outlook marks the rule has having an error, and I have to
    > hand-correct the rule to point to the folder that got moved.

    This is standard practice, since, although the rule only shows you the
    folder name, it does contain as hidden data the PST name containing the
    folder as well and you have to point the rule at the folder's new location.
    It's the same reason why, when moving a PST from one machine to another, you
    usually need to redefine the folders within the rules.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Mar 2, 2009