    I want to do this so that a non-privileged user can not kill the
    process of my application in task manager - process tab.

    Is there any way to do this?

    Marcus, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Marcus

    Anton Pegan Guest

    Hi Marcus,

    Take a look at the following article:

    How to enable and use the "Run As" command when running programs in Windows

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676

    Regards,

    Anton Pegan

    Anton Pegan, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hi Anton,

    Thanks for answering.

    I also want to do this non-interactively (should be transparent to the
    limited user), so the limited user should not be prompted for password
    or something like that. Is this possible with "run as"?
    Maybe one can supply password on the command line together with the
    "run as" command or something like that?

    Some people claim there is a security risk in using "run as", what are
    your opinion about that.

    I also stumpled across something called CPAU, which seems to be
    something similar to "run as", do you have any experience with that
    tool?

    again, thanks for answering.

    Marcus, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Marcus

    Anton Pegan Guest

    Hi Marcus,

    Actually Microsoft suggests that you always logon with a user account that
    has limited privileges for security reasons and use secondary logon or Run
    As option. You can run it using the command line. Just type "runas
    /user:administrator program.exe", but you will be always prompted for
    password. You can also use some third-party programs, like one you
    suggested, here is one:

    http://www.robotronic.de/runasspcEn.html

    http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/11/29/271551.aspx

    You can use a script:

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20906129.html

    Creating a Scheduled task for that user, supplying appropriate username,
    password and application, would also do.

    How To Schedule Tasks in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569

    Regards,

    Anton Pegan, Nov 7, 2006