    NEW to me!!!!

    Erin

    , Apr 25, 2009

  2. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > I just got Broadband internet yesterday. My computer has a built in
    > wireless LAN a/b/g/n. iI also have a laptop with a builtin LAN. So,
    > I bought a Netgear wireless router-N. I went to install the CD, and
    > it only works on a 32 bit processor-Of course, I have a 64 bit
    > processor. How can I get it to work?? Keep in mind, this is TOTALLY
    > NEW to me!!!!

    You don't need to install anything from the router on your laptop. Configure
    the router from either computer using an ethernet cable. General
    instructions follow. Note that I wrote them using a Linksys router as an
    example so you will need to refer to your Netgear's user manual for the
    details such as the default password, etc. Otherwise, the process is not
    router brand-dependent.

    Setting up a router is quite simple. Normally you run the CD that came with
    the router and follow the instructions. If you're running Vista perhaps the
    CD that came with the router won't work; I don't know this. But you can set
    up the router without a CD. Note that if you have cable Internet, for the
    connection you just set the router to do DHCP (or there may even be a
    choice of cable for you to select). If you have DSL Internet, you usually
    select PPoe and enter the username and password which you chose when
    originally setting up the DSL connection. So:

    1. Turn off the power to your cable modem.
    2. Attach a cat5e ethernet cable (usually provided with the router) going
    from the router's Internet/WAN port to the cable modem's ethernet port.
    3. Attach a cat5e ethernet cable going from your computer's network adapter
    to one of the ports on the router. If you don't have an ethernet cable
    (because you were using USB), you will need to go to the store and buy one.
    4. Turn on the cable modem. After all the lights are on, turn on the router.

    To configure the router:

    Have a computer connected to the router with an ethernet cable. Examples
    given are for a Linksys router. Refer to your router manual or the router
    mftr.'s website for default settings if you don't have a Linksys. Open a
    browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox and in the addressbar type:

    http://192.168.1.1 [enter] (this is the router's default IP address, which
    varies from router to router so check your manual)

    This will bring you to router's login screen. The default username is left
    blank and the Linksys default password is "admin" without the quotes. Enter
    that information. You are now in the router's configuration utility. Your
    configuration utility may differ slightly from mine. The first thing to do
    is change the default password because *everyone* knows the default
    passwords for various routers.

    Click on the Administration link at the top of the page. Enter your new
    password. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE YOU WILL NOT LOSE IT. Re-enter the
    password to confirm it and click the Save Settings button at the bottom of
    the page. The router will restart and present you with the login box again.
    Leave the username blank and put in your new password to get back into the
    configuration utility.

    Now click on the Wireless link at the top of the page. Change the Wireless
    Network Name (SSID) from the default to something you will recognize. I
    suggest that my clients not use their family name as the SSID. For example,
    you might wish to name your wireless network "CastleAnthrax" or the
    like. ;-)

    Click the Save Settings and when you get the prompt that your changes were
    successful, click on the Wireless Security link which is right next to the
    Basic Wireless Settings link (where you changed your SSID). Most computers
    purchased within the last 4 years have wireless hardware that will support
    WPA2-Personal (also called WPA2-PSK). This is the encryption level you
    want. If your wireless hardware is older, use WPA. Do not use WEP as that
    is easily cracked within minutes. So go ahead and set the Security Mode to
    WPA2-Personal. Do that and enter a passphrase. For example, you might use
    the passphrase, "Here be dragons, beware you scurvy dogs!". The passphrase
    is what you will enter on any computers that are allowed to connect to the
    wireless network. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE YOU WILL NOT LOSE IT.

    At this point, your router is configured and if the computer you were using
    to configure the router is normally going to connect wirelessly, disconnect
    the ethernet cable and the computer's wireless feature should see your new
    network. Enter the passphrase you created (exactly as you wrote it with all
    capitalization and punctuation) to join the network and start surfing.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Apr 25, 2009

  3. DL Guest

    You dont have to run any install cd for a Netgear router, installation /
    setup instructions are on the netgear site

    DL, Apr 26, 2009