RM Clock -- anyone ever use this ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

RightMark CPU Clock Utility (RMClock) is a small GUI application designed for real-time CPU frequency, throttling and load level monitoring and on-the-fly adjustment of the CPU performance level on supported CPU models via processor's power management model-specific registers (MSRs). In automatic management mode it continuously monitors the CPU usage level and dynamically adjusts the CPU frequency, throttle and/or voltage level as needed, realizing the "Performance on Demand" concept.

I'm playing around with it as Cool and Quiet just will not work on me pc. :confused:

Reaction score
Have you got a Athlon X2 64 bit jobbie too cos maybe im el dopo but do you have to be running the same gear for it to work....that 2nd laptop that clapped up on me had that gear in it and it never ran right for me.
That stuff is way over my head man...
Zzzzz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"that 2nd laptop that clapped up on me had that gear in it and it never ran right for me." Do you mean Cool +Quiet ? If so there are good guides on how to set it up. Helps to keep your pc cooler and running with less power so should in theory give extra life from a battery on a laptop.

I think the RM Clock is more versatile but is written by Russian engineers and information about setting it up does require some study for a newbie. I'm trying it on the cpu below and on a dual core 5600. Seems to be working well. I underclocked the cpu below, hope I have not gone too low on the voltages but it seems to be running a lot cooler and is stable. Ramps up when power is needed. Recon the utility is a must for a Media Center or a laptop or a poor person like me trying to eek out a few more minutes of use for every pound I put in me meter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking at the specs for the 3400 the cpu voltage has a very narrow range of 1.500 to 1.550 so I hope that I am not causing any damge by running at 1.000/1.050 v. Seems ok but I could do with some feedback from a techy type.

nod.gif

Attachments

• 2009-06-01_111554.jpg
    2009-06-01_111554.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 776
  • 2009-06-01_011554.jpg
    2009-06-01_011554.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 736

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Here are some screenshots of RMClock working with my 5600 cpu.For some reason Everest does not seem to have all the information about this cpu.

attachment.php

These shots were taken with Everest CPU Stress Test running to show cpu useage at 100% the low temeratures are due to it only running for a few minutes and the room temperature is only 18 C whereas the room temp for the 3400 pics was a whoooping 32 C.

attachment.php

attachment.php

These next shots were taken only a few seconds after the 100% test had stopped. The cpu multiplier and temps both react very quickly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This last shot is just to show that the cpu multiplier does not just go from min to max but has steps in between.

attachment.php

Well thats it folks. I have been using RM Clock for nearly a week on two pc's, I'm in the middle of changing from one pc to another so this gave me the opportunity to test it out with out too much hassle. I can recomend this utility to laptop owners and anyone that wants to keep their pc cooler and using less power. I realise that the power savings will not be huge but every little helps. A cooler running pc will last longer than one that is running hot so that may be a good reason to use this utility. I'm going to have a try at undervolting a little more at some time in the future and will post again if I do.

Not much use to crunchers I'm afraid.

happywave.gif

Attachments

• 2009-06-05_175227.png
    2009-06-05_175227.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 767
  • 2009-06-05_171043.png
    2009-06-05_171043.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 709
  • 2009-06-05_171053.png
    2009-06-05_171053.png
    20 KB · Views: 698
  • 2009-06-05_171141.png
    2009-06-05_171141.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 735
  • 2009-06-05_171149.png
    2009-06-05_171149.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,501
  • 2009-06-05_171256.png
    2009-06-05_171256.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 728
Reaction score
Hi AB,

I had a look around the rightmark website and tbh i didnt really know what i was looking at. I am still fairly new to all this stuff .Anyway i had a look and couldnt find the App you were using for your tests or the dropdown menu you illustrated.
I'l have another look but fear i will have the same result. But, maybe it'l be different this time.....also i posted that you posted a similar freebie int bargain area or at least i thought they were similar at the time. They were both paragon back up apps. Hope i didnt upset you.
Zzzzz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi AB,

I had a look around the rightmark website and tbh i didnt really know what i was looking at. I am still fairly new to all this stuff .Anyway i had a look and couldnt find the App you were using for your tests or the dropdown menu you illustrated.
I'l have another look but fear i will have the same result. But, maybe it'l be different this time.....also i posted that you posted a similar freebie int bargain area or at least i thought they were similar at the time. They were both paragon back up apps. Hope i didnt upset you.
Zzzzz

Why on earth would you upset me. I pointed out the differences to the paragon software because , well, they were two different utilities, that did two different jobs.
Me I like to read clear information about stuff and try my best to make things as clear as possible when I post stuff about stuff. See.

This is the RMClock description link,

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml#rmclock

Tihs is the download link,

http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

attachment.php

Above is what to look for if you want to download the utillity.

Clear enough.

:D

Attachments

• 2009-06-06_182054.png
    2009-06-06_182054.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 676
Reaction score
Yeah man, its very very clear, but so is chinese writing and i dont understand that either...only joking. Ya see AB, whats going wrong here is the fact that i get a choice of 2 downloads....do you see my predicament. So, because i'm not sure about RAR files i will try t'other one and see what happens.
Hope this helps.....:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Zzzzz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Yeah man, its very very clear, but so is chinese writing and i dont understand that either...only joking. Ya see AB, whats going wrong here is the fact that i get a choice of 2 downloads....do you see my predicament. So, because i'm not sure about RAR files i will try t'other one and see what happens.
Hope this helps.....:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Zzzzz

.rar files are a type of compressed file similar to .zip or .tar files they usually take up less spece than normal files so are used fordownloads to save on bandwidth or for storage to save spce.
.exe files are uncompressed files that ypou simply click on to install the programs. Not compressed so are usually larger than .rar files.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question