RIS: Adding drivers to image ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Deployment' started by Guest, May 5, 2005.

    All,

    I have a RIS server that is loaded with several images. The images were
    created by running RIPREP.EXE on a configured workstation and then uploaded
    to a RIS server.

    I need to add device drivers to these images, that will allow Windows to
    detect and install drivers for hardware during the Hardware Installation
    (Plug and play detection) porition of the Windows setup when imaging a client
    using the RIS server.

    I have 2 new hardware devices. (1) a modem, (2) a new NIC
    I have tried the Microsoft recommended way of doing this (KB254078) by
    adding a
    directory to my RIS image (in the same path as the I386 folder) like this:

    $oem$\$1\Drivers
    \Modem
    \NIC

    I have then edited my Ristndrd.sif file with the following additions:

    [unattend]
    OemPreInstall = Yes
    OemPnPDriversPath = "Driver\Modem;Drivers\NIC"
    DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

    When I load a workstation with the new hardware, Windows is loaded, I log in
    and then i am asked to load the device drivers for the new modem and nic... I
    have been fighting with this for way too long and im loosing to much hair.

    WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???????

    I have one further question: in KB246184 , it says:
    "If the RIS image was created with RIPREP, you must perform these steps on
    both the RIPREP image and the RISETUP image that corresponds to the RIPREP
    image"

    WTF does that mean? how do i know what my corrosponding RISETUP image is? Is
    that the CD based image i loaded to setup the RIS server, before configuring
    and loading my RIPREP image?

    Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

    Guest, May 5, 2005

    Nick Payne Guest

    Re: Adding drivers to image ?

    If you want those extra driver directories to be searched for inf files in
    an Riprep image, then before you run Riprep to create the image you need a
    c:\sysprep directory that contains the file sysprep.inf with the
    OemPnPDriversPath line that points to the extra directories. You can't just
    add them afterwards if the sysprep information wasn't there to be captured
    by Riprep. If you didn't do that when you created your existing RIS images
    then you'll need to recreate the RIS images with the sysprep directory on
    the disk of the workstation you are using to create the image.

    There are a couple of MSKB articles that explain it. Do a Google search for
    riprep $oem$ to find them.

    Nick

    Nick Payne, May 6, 2005