    Question: Is there a MS tool or procedure to restore the
    registry-permissions back to their standard values, so we can be sure that
    all damage has been corrected?

    Guest, Jul 20, 2007

  2. How to reset security settings back to the defaults:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

    --
    Regards,

    "Ian" <> wrote in message news:...
    As is well-documented elsewhere, I'm finding that the install of Acrobat
    (Reader) 8.1 messes-up the registry permissions.

    In particular it creates keys in the root classes which have inheritance
    blocked, and which as a result cannot be modified/deleted even by an
    Administrator. It may do other damage; in fact it's hard to tell for sure
    what the extent of the damage is. Because of this I'm reluctant to go for the
    quick-and-dirty fix of forcing a reset of permissions on the HKCR tree. I
    want to be sure the damage is fully repaired and won't give rise to other
    side-effects later.

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jul 22, 2007