Resizing (enlarging) Mac boot partition

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Roger Blake, Jul 30, 2009.

  1. Roger Blake

    Roger Blake Guest

    I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of
    the imagination.

    I helped a friend install an upgraded hard drive in a Macbook Pro
    using a 500GB drive to replace the old 80GB unit. We sucessfully copied
    the old drive to the new using "Clonezilla" (a Linux-based disk cloning
    utility), but have run into a brick wall as far as utilizing the additional
    space, we seem to be stuck with using just the original 80GB. (The Mac
    is running OS X 10.4.11.)

    Nothing I've found so far, including the Mac's built-in disk utility
    and Gparted, has been able to enlarge the HPFS+ partition, or for
    that matter even add another partition without wiping out the
    contents of the drive. (This is very frustrating since this is a
    trivial operation in Windows and Linux.)

    Obviously the worst-case scenario here is to just bite the bullet and
    reload everything from scratch to make use of the entire drive, but
    we are trying to avoid that! Are there any utility programs available
    that can expand the Mac's boot partition, or at least non-destructively add
    additional partitions to the drive?

    One program we found called "iPartition" seems like it may be able to
    do this. Has anyone here used iPartition successfully? Any other
    recommendations?

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)

    Roger Blake, Jul 30, 2009

  2. On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:41:22 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
    <> wrote:

    >I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of
    >the imagination.

    You might be better off posting to the equivalent mac newsgroup since
    csiphs is for PCs.

    Michael Cecil, Jul 30, 2009

  3. Roger Blake

    Roger Blake Guest

    On 2009-07-30, Michael Cecil <> wrote:
    > You might be better off posting to the equivalent mac newsgroup since
    > csiphs is for PCs.

    Well, Macs use Intel-based hardware now, and I always viewed this as
    generic storage-oriented newsgroup, but your point is well-taken...

    Roger Blake, Jul 31, 2009
  4. Roger Blake

    Harry331 Guest

    Roger Blake wrote...

    >Nothing I've found so far, including the Mac's built-in disk utility
    >and Gparted, has been able to enlarge the HPFS+ partition, or for
    >that matter even add another partition without wiping out the
    >contents of the drive. (This is very frustrating since this is a

    HPFS+ ??? What is that?

    Do you mean HFS+ instead ?

    Google gave me something below.

    HPFS or High Performance File System is a file system created
    specifically for the OS/2 operating system

    HFS Plus or HFS+ is a file system developed by Apple Inc. to replace
    their Hierarchical File System (HFS) as the primary file system used
    in Macintosh computers (or other systems running Mac OS).

    You may have better chance on a Mac newsgroup / forum.

    Harry331, Jul 31, 2009
  5. Roger Blake

    Roger Blake Guest

    On 2009-07-31, Harry331 <_> wrote:
    > HPFS+ ??? What is that?

    HPFS - OS/2 filesystem. Similar name, had a brain fart.

    > You may have better chance on a Mac newsgroup / forum.

    Correct again, am getting some good responses there.

    Roger Blake, Jul 31, 2009
  6. Roger Blake

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:41:22 +0000 (UTC), Roger Blake <> wrote:

    >I'll preface this by saying I am not a Mac expert by any stretch of
    >the imagination.
    >
    >I helped a friend install an upgraded hard drive in a Macbook Pro
    >using a 500GB drive to replace the old 80GB unit. We sucessfully copied
    >the old drive to the new using "Clonezilla" (a Linux-based disk cloning
    >utility), but have run into a brick wall as far as utilizing the additional
    >space, we seem to be stuck with using just the original 80GB. (The Mac
    >is running OS X 10.4.11.)
    >
    >Nothing I've found so far, including the Mac's built-in disk utility
    >and Gparted, has been able to enlarge the HPFS+ partition, or for
    >that matter even add another partition without wiping out the
    >contents of the drive. (This is very frustrating since this is a
    >trivial operation in Windows and Linux.)
    >
    >Obviously the worst-case scenario here is to just bite the bullet and
    >reload everything from scratch to make use of the entire drive, but
    >we are trying to avoid that! Are there any utility programs available
    >that can expand the Mac's boot partition, or at least non-destructively add
    >additional partitions to the drive?
    >
    >One program we found called "iPartition" seems like it may be able to
    >do this. Has anyone here used iPartition successfully? Any other
    >recommendations?

    Super Dooper.

    >--

    Barry