    Since system C drive remains only around 400M bytes, what tools can resize
    it? Just want to enlarge the system drive for installing windows update etc.
    Thanks.

    Pleo, Nov 10, 2007

  2. "Pleo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A Server has three 18.2G HDD (wide ultra3 SCSI-3 10kII) and have the
    > following partition table on W2k Server.
    >
    > Disk0 (Dynamic, 33.91GB) - C: Capacity 2.93GB FAT D: Capacity 30.94GB
    > NTFS
    > Disk1 (Dynamic, 16.96GB) - D: Capacity 16.96GB NTFS
    >
    > Therefore the volume drive now has the following capacity
    >
    > Volume C: Simple Dynamic FAT Capacity:2.93GB Free:384M
    > Volume D: Spanned Dynamic NTFS Capacity: 47.9GB Free:10GB
    >
    > Since system C drive remains only around 400M bytes, what tools can resize
    > it? Just want to enlarge the system drive for installing windows update
    > etc.
    > Thanks.

    A system drive of 3 GBytes is grossly inadequate for a server.
    15 GBytes would be a more appropriate figure. AFAIK, none
    of the current partition managers will touch dynamic partitions.
    Your only choice would be to do this:

    1. Connect the system disk as a slave disk to some other machine.
    2. Use xcopy.exe or robocopy.exe to copy both partitions to
    a spare disk. Make sure to include ACLs and hidden files.
    3. Test the spare disk in the server.
    4. If it works, repartition the old disk, then reverse Step 2.

    By the way, in your cross-post you missed the most relevant
    newsgroup: Microsoft.public.windows.server.general.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Nov 10, 2007

  3. Pleo

    DL Guest

    The 'right' version of PM will work with Server
    The 'home' user version has no problems with NTFS

    DL, Mar 21, 2008
  4. Pleo

    jro Guest

    I managed to do the following.

    Original Config, 1 Basic Disk, 2 Partitions
    ------------------
    C:\ - ~4gb
    D:\ - ~36gb

    1) Backup D: to a different disk L:
    2) Change Drive Letter of D: to K:
    3) Change Drive Letter of L: to D:
    4) Tested D: programs, and all worked
    5) Now I can delete the old partition (originally D: but moved to L:
    remember)
    6) Now that partition is left as unallocated space.
    7) Open DISKPART from CMD (support.microsoft.com/kb/300415) and issue the
    following commands:

    select volume c
    extend

    8) Pooof, unallocated space is now part of C:, which is now 40gb

    Before this, I tried many tools and nothing worked. This though works, and
    all is the way I want it. Disk is now 1 partition containing C, and D is a
    different disk, and all works.

    jro, Apr 9, 2008