Repair or Reinstall Win2k

Dave

I need to repair or reinstall Windows 2000 due to what
appears to be registry corruption. I ran Norton WinDoctor
and repaired everything possible, but the system is still
acting squirrelly - example: I can't remove certain
software; the system locks up every time I try.

I've switched the boot order so the CD is listed before
the hard disk, but the system won't boot from the CD and
continually defaults to the hard disk, so that's how I'm
forced to boot (although I haven't tried to boot from the
boot floppies that I created). Once booted from the
existing installation on the hard drive, whether I log in
as administrator or as a different user, I keep getting
the message "you must be an administrator to install
Windows 2000" when I try to launch the install from the CD.

How can I repair or reinstall Win2k without backing up my
data, reformatting the drive, and reinstalling everything
from scratch?

Dave Patrick

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

CHANG KOH

My W2K WON'T START. I was using the 4 Setup disks (#1 disk is boot disk)
attempting to fix the problem. But I was told to insert the W2K PRO
CD....(without any SP). Another version of W2K PRO APPEARED WITH NO FILES AT
ALL @ MY DOCUMENTS! Then, I had upgraded to SP3 from Microsoft
website, like before. Now I had 2 versions of W2K PRO (WINDOWS & WINNT),
both SP3. When power up the computer, could only access the NEW ONE, but
when I highlighted the previous one, same error message appeared. As I had
about 1000 files in the previous version, I need to restore to it badly.
PLS HELP!

After that, pls advise how to delete the "new" version??? TIA.

Dave Patrick said:
To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

Dave said:
[...]

1.) "My W2K WON'T START" tells us nothing.
2.) Why not recover those files from the parallel install you now have?

CHANG KOH

Sorry, not enough info. Error msg was:" W2K COULD NOT START , the
following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair the file by starting W2K SETUP using the original
floppy disk or CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
It does not work even after loading the Emergency Repair Disk! May be
those were the old version!? Pls advise if possible.

2. Pls advise how to transfer/recover the files? TIA. PLS HELP!

CHANG KOH said:
My W2K WON'T START. I was using the 4 Setup disks (#1 disk is boot disk)
attempting to fix the problem. But I was told to insert the W2K PRO
CD....(without any SP). Another version of W2K PRO APPEARED WITH NO
FILES
AT
ALL @ MY DOCUMENTS! Then, I had upgraded to SP3 from Microsoft
website, like before. Now I had 2 versions of W2K PRO (WINDOWS & WINNT),
both SP3. When power up the computer, could only access the NEW ONE, but
when I highlighted the previous one, same error message appeared. As I had
about 1000 files in the previous version, I need to restore to it badly.
PLS HELP!

After that, pls advise how to delete the "new" version??? TIA.

Dave Patrick

1.) If the system hive, and assuming you already tried LKG, It may be
possible to rename the system hive found in
%windir%\system32\config\system
to system.old
then rename
%windir%\system32\config\system.alt
%windir%\system32\config\system

You can also try using the most recent backup found in
%windir%\repair\regback

If that fails you haven't much choice but to copy/ use the
original-as-installed system hive from
%windir%\repair\system
%windir%\system32\config\system
You'll need to reinstall the device drivers for any hardware added since the
original OS install.

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the password has been
validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
computer: %systemroot% and %windir%

2.) Perhaps I mis-understood. I thought you now had a parallel install.

Dave Patrick

Inline reply:

CK said:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I'm quite dumb! Kindly spell out how to perform
LKG(What's it?
* LKG = Last Known Good. Choose F8 at startup.

& the renaming procedure if you don't mind.
* What part did you need help with?

I've 2 OS in my
pc now, both W2K PRO{ WINDOWS & WINNT}. WINDOWS could not start due the
the file missing: .windows\system32\config\system . I had loaded/
created WINNT to start the pc. It works! But now I'm trying to recoup the
WINDOWS OS to make it operational as it contained about 1000 files.
* Isn't the other partition visible from the OS that starts? (Assuming you
installed to a separate partition)

CK

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I'm quite dumb! Kindly spell out how to perform
LKG(What's it?} & the renaming procedure if you don't mind. I've 2 OS in my
pc now, both W2K PRO{ WINDOWS & WINNT}. WINDOWS could not start due the
the file missing: .windows\system32\config\system . I had loaded/
created WINNT to start the pc. It works! But now I'm trying to recoup the
WINDOWS OS to make it operational as it contained about 1000 files. Don't
know how? If you have the time, will be highly appreciated.

CHANG KOH said:
Sorry, not enough info. Error msg was:" W2K COULD NOT START , the
following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair the file by starting W2K SETUP using the original
floppy disk or CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
It does not work even after loading the Emergency Repair Disk! May be
those were the old version!? Pls advise if possible.

2. Pls advise how to transfer/recover the files? TIA. PLS HELP!

Dave Patrick

Try reading the part about "To start the Recovery Console......" again and
let us know at what point it fails for you. (there's no ERD involved in
this)

CK

Hi Dave,
Kindly advise how to do the renaming part %-----? I had reloaded the 4
setup disks & ERD, then start pc, but it did not work.
TIA.

Dave Patrick said:
Inline reply:

CK said:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I'm quite dumb! Kindly spell out how to perform
LKG(What's it?
* LKG = Last Known Good. Choose F8 at startup.

& the renaming procedure if you don't mind.
* What part did you need help with?

I've 2 OS in my
pc now, both W2K PRO{ WINDOWS & WINNT}. WINDOWS could not start due the
the file missing: .windows\system32\config\system . I had loaded/
created WINNT to start the pc. It works! But now I'm trying to recoup the
WINDOWS OS to make it operational as it contained about 1000 files.
* Isn't the other partition visible from the OS that starts? (Assuming you
installed to a separate partition)

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

Dave Patrick

Inline Reply:

CK said:
Hi Dave,
After keying in the password, C:\WINDOWS> & C:\WINNT > appear. Which
1 to choose? What shall I do next? WINNT{OS} is the functional , newly
created.
WINDOWS (ORIGINAL OS) is the 1 I'm trying to recover. TIA.
* Then I would choose "C:\WINDOWS" and follow the steps outlined above.

CK said:
Hi Dave,
Kindly advise how to do the renaming part %-----? I had reloaded the 4
setup disks & ERD, then start pc, but it did not work.
TIA.

CK

Hi Dave,
C:\WINDOWS>RENAME OR %....... Invalid COMMAND! I must be very
dumb! I guessed I had done something wrong again!
Hope don't mind share some of your wisdom. TIA.

Dave Patrick said:
Inline Reply:

CK said:
Hi Dave,
After keying in the password, C:\WINDOWS> & C:\WINNT > appear. Which
1 to choose? What shall I do next? WINNT{OS} is the functional , newly
created.
WINDOWS (ORIGINAL OS) is the 1 I'm trying to recover. TIA.
* Then I would choose "C:\WINDOWS" and follow the steps outlined above.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

CK

Hi Dave,
C:\WINDOWS>RENAME OR %....... Invalid COMMAND! I must be very
dumb! I guessed I had done something wrong again!
Hope don't mind share some of your wisdom. TIA.

Dave Patrick said:
Inline Reply:

CK said:
Hi Dave,
After keying in the password, C:\WINDOWS> & C:\WINNT > appear. Which
1 to choose? What shall I do next? WINNT{OS} is the functional , newly
created.
WINDOWS (ORIGINAL OS) is the 1 I'm trying to recover. TIA.
* Then I would choose "C:\WINDOWS" and follow the steps outlined above.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

CK

Hi Dave,
C:\WINDOWS>RENAME OR %....... Invalid COMMAND! I must be very
dumb! I guessed I had done something wrong again!
Hope don't mind share some of your wisdom. TIA.

Sorry, newsgroup does not seem to accept my reply any more!

After keying in the password, C:\WINDOWS> & C:\WINNT > appear. Which
1 to choose? What shall I do next? WINNT{OS} is the functional , newly
created.
WINDOWS (ORIGINAL OS) is the 1 I'm trying to recover. TIA.
* Then I would choose "C:\WINDOWS" and follow the steps outlined above.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Dave Patrick said:
Inline Reply:

CK said:
Hi Dave,
After keying in the password, C:\WINDOWS> & C:\WINNT > appear. Which
1 to choose? What shall I do next? WINNT{OS} is the functional , newly
created.
WINDOWS (ORIGINAL OS) is the 1 I'm trying to recover. TIA.
* Then I would choose "C:\WINDOWS" and follow the steps outlined above.

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

CK

Thanks anyway, Dave. Happy Holidays!

May be one of your friends can help you with this.