Repair Excel 2003 after XP Pro SP2 install

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Setup' started by Craig Leonardi, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Hi All,

    I posted this in microsoft.public.officeupdate and had no response.
    I hope someone will offer some advice.

    Thanks....

    I just installed SP2 for Windows XP Pro. All of the Office 2003 SBE
    apps except Excel run fine. When I launch Excel, an install window
    opens. Shortly thereafter, I am prompted for the location of SKU1CA.cab

    I can't find this file anywhere on my PC. There is, however, an
    MSOCache directory loaded with all sorts of .cab files.

    The computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-TR3AP. It was purchased with Office
    2003 preloaded. I registered (purchased)the software several months ago.

    1) Where can I find SKU1CA.cab ?
    2) Is install confused between a preloaded version of Office 2003 and
    one that was purchased with physical media?
    3) How can I reinstall Office 2003 and preserve / recover my
    internet-purchased license?

    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thank you

    Craig

    Craig Leonardi, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Craig Leonardi

    Nick Hodge Guest

    Craig

    I've search all the knowledge base and cannot find anything related to this.
    I suspect it needs a file from the Excel setup. This, with pre-installation
    is usually held in a folder on the local drive if you were send no
    installation media. This varies by OEM manufacturer so I would suspect, if
    you have tried a search (Including hidden files) for this, that you contact
    Sony for support

    --
    HTH
    Nick Hodge

    Nick Hodge, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Craig Leonardi

    jimedmunds

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    me too...

    I also have exactly the same problem, on a Sony Vaio VGN-BX-196SP. I have activated MS Office 2003 SBE over the internet and now all apps except Excel work. WHen i try to run Excel it starts the office installer and gives the message SKU1CA.CAB is missing. Has anybody managed to fix this yet????

    jimedmunds, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Craig Leonardi

    sku1caCABsucks

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    sku1ca.CAB file exists but not recognized

    Hi. Have any of you that have written about this sku1ca.CAB dilemma ever solved the problem? I am trying to export Outlook 2003 (Office SBE 2003 ... OEM version) files/email to ANY non-Microsoft format. When I try to do CSV or Tab-Delimited, Outlook issues the following error message:

    Microsoft Office Outlook cannot start the required translator. THis feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?
    SO, WHEN I CLICK ON "YES", I get the installer to give the error:

    Intallation Error: File not Found

    A required installation file SKU1CA.CAB could not be found

    Original Installation Source Required:

    If you installed Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 from a CD, please insert your CD. If you installed Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 over your computer network, please browse to the installation source on your network. Once you have located your installation source, click OK.

    Of course, this does nothing. Your can clisk OK 100 times and nothing happens. If you click CANCEL, you have to go through the same procedure when you try to export the email to a non-PST file.

    HELP!!!

    sku1caCABsucks, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Craig Leonardi

    jimedmunds

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    fixed!

    I managed to fix it by downloading the full installation version of the office update service pack from the microsoft update site. It was a while ago now so i don't recall exactly what the link is, otherwise i'd post it here. good luck

    jimedmunds, Jun 10, 2006
  6. Craig Leonardi

    sku1caCABsucks

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Fixed by uninstalling Office 2003SBE and then re-install

    I had to completely reinstall the program... and do a FULL installation. When I tried to do a "typical" or custom" install, it didn't include the translator, and the same SKU1CA.CAB error occured when I tried to add the translator later.

    Just do a FULL INSTALLATION of SBE OFFICE 2003 if you want to avoid the Microsoft Blues (creen)!

    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
    sku1caCABsucks, Jun 10, 2006
  7. Craig Leonardi

    dsimmons

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The fix for SKUxxx.cab error in Office 2003

    There is plenty of BS about this one so here is the working solution:

    Office 2003 is asking for the location of SKUxxx.CAB from the install disks, but won’t find it when you provide the location of the install CD:

    Go into the registry:

    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Delivery

    Change CDCache to 0 (not 1 or 2)

    Close the registry and open the program - that's it!

    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
    dsimmons, Jun 26, 2007
  8. Craig Leonardi

    kmart

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Way to go! The regedit solved the problem!!!

    kmart, Dec 12, 2009
  9. Craig Leonardi

    wistertom

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    To: dsimmonns....8-15-2011
    Your fix for the missing SKU1CA.CAB file to make my 2003 Excel work......worked great & I even figured out how to use it :blush:) I am NOT a computer guy.
    Thanks for your post & to the guy that posted behind you how to get in to the registry.
    Take care
    Tom

    wistertom, Aug 15, 2011
  10. Craig Leonardi

    amyc63

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    dsimmons, you are a computer god. after doing microsoft updates, none of my office programs would open my docs. your fix worked perfectly. i'm in awe!

    amyc63, Jan 12, 2013