    way, from the windows.1 installation, to repair the c:\windows
    installation? like doing the sfc /scanow but to scan the original
    windows installation?

    Ratedr, Mar 10, 2010

  2. Ratedr wrote:
    > Ok I hope that I am explaining this correctly:
    >
    > I had an issue with windows xp, and I wanted to repair it, but for
    > some reason my disc (dont ask why) didnt give me a choice of
    > repairing
    > the windows installation..so I just installed another copy (now c:
    > \windows.1 lets say) I dont want to go through the hassle of fixing
    > everything, reinstalling my shortcuts, etc....I just want to be able
    > to repair my ORIGINAL windows installation c:\windows. Is there a
    > way, from the windows.1 installation, to repair the c:\windows
    > installation? like doing the sfc /scanow but to scan the original
    > windows installation?

    Tools like SFC can't be run from a different Windows installation. If
    you know exactly what the problem is you can look for missing or corrupt
    files, run tools like chkdsk, edit the registry or try to clean viruses
    and malware but you can't run repair tools like SFC.

    John

    John John - MVP, Mar 10, 2010

  3. Ratedr

    Jose Guest

    On Mar 10, 10:39 am, Ratedr <> wrote:
    > Ok I hope that I am explaining this correctly:
    >
    > I had an issue with windows xp, and I wanted to repair it, but for
    > some reason my disc (dont ask why) didnt give me a choice of
    > repairing
    > the windows installation..so I just installed another copy (now c:
    > \windows.1 lets say)  I dont want to go through the hassle of fixing
    > everything, reinstalling my shortcuts, etc....I just want to be able
    > to repair my ORIGINAL windows installation c:\windows.  Is there a
    > way, from the windows.1 installation, to repair the c:\windows
    > installation?  like doing the sfc /scanow but to scan the original
    > windows installation?

    What is the problem with the original installation?

    It may be more productive to fix that than to try to fool sfc /scannow
    into acting in some way that is unnatural to it.

    I have never seen sfc /scannow fix anything either, so why would you
    think that is going to help?

    Jose, Mar 11, 2010