    Now all the drive mappings become unavailable, we have to keep refreshing
    about four times and they come back for about five minutes.
    Any clue what might be wrong?

    Cheeseburger, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Cheeseburger

    TIM ROBERTS Guest

    Hi cheese,
    Have you tried deleting the mapped drives and recreating them?Have you
    checked the SOA record on the DNS server to make sure they reflect the new
    server name? Ther is a setting for Keep alive on the Client and auto
    disconnect on the server. More information would be usfull here. Are you
    looking in IE when they disconnect on the server or are they disconnecting
    on the client?

    "Cheeseburger" <> wrote in message
    > My new boss had the great idea of re-naming our file share server which

    also

    TIM ROBERTS, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Cheeseburger

    Cheeseburger Guest

    Yes, I've deleted the drive mappings & re-created them, same effect. Every
    machine in our domain is effected, even the new ones added after the server
    re-naming. Also we use a logon.vbs script to map the drives, and only those
    maps to the re-named server have the problem.

    The Start of Authority record for Primary server reflects the new name.

    Client settings for Keep alive or auto re-connect: I only remember those in
    my Novel/Win9x days not in my Current Win2k life... Where are these settings
    found?

    I'm looking in Windows Explorer when the drives drop out. F5 to refresh
    about 5 or 6 times brings them back.

    Another note, when I map the server share with the IP address they stay
    stable but some microsoft products (like access) compline that its an
    un-secure connection and will not open the file.

    Domain name = homeoffice.rubys.com
    Server name = hawkeye
    IP's 10.1.0.2, 10.1.0.3
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 10.1.0.1
    Name Type Data
    (same as parent folder) Host 10.1.0.2
    (same as parent folder) Host 10.1.0.3
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger [10] homeoffice.rubys.com
    (same as parent folder) Name Server hawkeye.homeoffice.rubys.com
    (same as parent folder) Start of Authority [26633],
    hawkeye.homeoffice.rubys.com., admin.homeoffice.rubys.com.

    Cheeseburger, Aug 23, 2003