    Can I safely remove the old ones?
    --
    Thanks

    Guest, Aug 30, 2006

    Bob I Guest

    Only if you don't want them installed anymore.

    Bob I, Aug 30, 2006

    Bert Kinney Guest

    Hi Den,

    If you uninstall the Hotfix, you will lose the benefits of that patch.
    This should only be done for troubleshooting proposes. So the answer to
    your question is no.

    If you do not want to view these updates, uncheck "show updates" at the
    top of the add/remove page.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Bert Kinney, Aug 30, 2006

    Rock Guest

    Den wrote:

    > Add & remove Programmes in contropl panel are filled wit hot fixes and updates,
    > Can I safely remove the old ones?

    Don't remove the updates but if you want, you can remove the uninstall
    directories in the windows folder. They are compressed folders with a
    name like $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ where the xxxxxx refers to the knowledge
    base number for that update. After the folder is deleted you can remove
    the entries in add/remove programs. When removing the entry in
    Add/Remove it will give you a message that the update can't be removed
    and asks if you want to remove the entry. Click ok. The updates will
    still be installed but the entries will be gone. Only do this if you
    are sure you won't need to uninstall any of the updates. I wait a month
    after the update is applied, and if no problems, I remove the uninstall
    directory and it's entry.

    Doug Knox has a utility on his site to automate the removal of these
    uninstall folders and the entries in Add / Remove programs

    http://www.dougknox.com/
    Win XP Utilities
    Remove Hotfix Backup Files

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Den wrote:

    > Add & remove Programmes in contropl panel are filled wit hot fixes
    > and updates, Can I safely remove the old ones?

    No.

    These are the critical updates (mostly security-oriented) that you've been
    downloading all along. Do not remove these, or you will put back the
    security exposures they were designed to fix. You can however delete their
    backup files. See http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Aug 31, 2006