    this causes the office Open File dialog to hang if I'm not connected.
    Does anyone know how to get rid of these entries? None of the drives show
    up on "My Computer" as they are always disconnected after I log off.

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006

    net use /persistent:no
    net use * /delete /yes

    will remove all drive-mappings.

    It might be better to consider making the connections with a batch-file,
    that woudl greatly simplify connecting, and leave no clutter when not
    connected.

    logon.bat

    @echo off
    net use /persistent:no
    net use driveletter: \\server\share /user:username password

    -------------------------------

    An alternative approach to XP network logon - http://mylogon.net

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006

    RE: Removing obsolete network drives and user IDs from mapping dia

    Thank you, but the question is not how to remove the mappings, but how to
    remove the entries from the drop-down list. None of the remote shares on the
    list are mapped - they are not persistent. The problem is, I want to use the
    drop-down list to specify the share I want to map to, but I don't want all
    the obsolete names to show up. I typically want to map to a path that is 60
    or more characters long, but the first 40 or more characters are common to
    most of the folder's I'm using.
    Writing a batch file would help. I haven't written one in about 14 years.
    Is the syntax still pretty much the same (using %1, %2 etc for parameters)?

    Guest, Apr 26, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Numfric <> wrote:
    >I use the "Map network drive" tool frequently to access drives on my company
    >network when I'm working remote, and use the "Connect as a different user"
    >option to do so. The dialog has two drop-down lists: the list of user IDs,
    >which seems to be limited to 4 users, all of which, in my case, are obsolete;
    >and the list of shares, most of which are obsolete, but which (a) don't show
    >the whole path name, and (b) appears to be unlimited. I end up in both cases
    >having to type in the user name, and the unique part of the path, every time
    >I reconnect a drive. I certainly DO NOT want to "reconnect at login", as
    >this causes the office Open File dialog to hang if I'm not connected.
    >Does anyone know how to get rid of these entries? None of the drives show
    >up on "My Computer" as they are always disconnected after I log off.

    Run the registry editor and open this key:

    HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    Map Network Drive MRU

    Note which letter contains the entry that you want to remove, and
    remove that letter from the value of MRUList.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd [MVP], Apr 27, 2006

    Re: Removing obsolete network drives and user IDs from mapping dia

    Thank you. That cures the obsolete drives problem. Any idea how to remove
    the obsolete user IDs from the "different user" list?

    Guest, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Re: Removing obsolete network drives and user IDs from mapping dia

    In article <>,
    Numfric <> wrote:
    >> >I use the "Map network drive" tool frequently to access drives on my company
    >> >network when I'm working remote, and use the "Connect as a different user"
    >> >option to do so. The dialog has two drop-down lists: the list of user IDs,
    >> >which seems to be limited to 4 users, all of which, in my case, are obsolete;
    >> >and the list of shares, most of which are obsolete, but which (a) don't show
    >> >the whole path name, and (b) appears to be unlimited. I end up in both cases
    >> >having to type in the user name, and the unique part of the path, every time
    >> >I reconnect a drive. I certainly DO NOT want to "reconnect at login", as
    >> >this causes the office Open File dialog to hang if I'm not connected.
    >> >Does anyone know how to get rid of these entries? None of the drives show
    >> >up on "My Computer" as they are always disconnected after I log off.

    >> Run the registry editor and open this key:
    >>
    >> HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    >> Map Network Drive MRU
    >>
    >> Note which letter contains the entry that you want to remove, and
    >> remove that letter from the value of MRUList.

    >Thank you. That cures the obsolete drives problem. Any idea how to remove
    >the obsolete user IDs from the "different user" list?

    You're welcome. I'm sorry, but I don't know where the "different
    user" list is kept. To see if it's in the registry, connect to a
    mapped network drive using a specific user name, and then search the
    registry for that name.

    Steve Winograd [MVP], May 1, 2006