    when using excel 2007, in scatter charts. I can't seem to specify only
    y-axis (vertical) error bars. The dialogue box states vertical error bars,
    but horizontal ones are also added? Any hints?

    trueblu, Mar 2, 2008

  2. trueblu

    Andy Pope Guest

    Hi,

    Unfortunately adding both sets of error bars is how xl2007 currently works.
    Once you have the error bars displayed you will need to select the
    horizontal error bars and delete them.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

    Andy Pope, Mar 2, 2008

  3. This seems to be a bug. I added Vertical error bars and got both. I clicked
    on one of the Horizontal and remove all with the Delete key.
    Let's see if Jon Peltier has this in his list of know charting bugs.
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    Microsoft Excel MVP

    Bernard Liengme, Mar 2, 2008
  4. trueblu

    Jon Peltier Guest

    I do not think this is a bug, per se. I think it is due to the hasty
    redesign of the Excel 2007 charting interface. Most chart types only
    accommodate Y error bars, so this bit of the interface was fine, until it
    was finally tested on an XY chart. The 2003 interface was much more
    effective, because you could add whatever error bars you wanted, with
    whatever specific values you wanted, in a direct approach.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    _______

    Jon Peltier, Mar 2, 2008
  5. trueblu

    James Barker Guest

    Easy selection

    The above comments are correct - you must select and manually remove the horizontal error bars. This can be tricky to do with the mouse, especially if you already have a series of best-fit lines clogging the space.

    A useful feature of excel is the selection field. It can be found in the upper-left corner when you have the Layout tab selected under Chart Tools. Have your chart selected, then click in the box (above "Format Selection") and you will find all of the elements of that chart listed for selection. Including x-error bars.

    James Barker, Sep 21, 2010