Removeable USB Drive Shows Up As Disconnected Network Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Guest, Feb 8, 2005.

    I have a client running Windows XP SP1 who, could not see a USB compact flash
    reader, or so they thought.

    Upon closer examination I determined that Drive E: appears as a network
    drive in My Computer with a type of Disconnected Network Drive. I tried to
    disconnect drive E:, but was unable to.

    I also found that when I attached the reader, I was able to access it's
    contents through the disconnected network drive entry, but the type and
    description didn't change. I was able to change the description, but the type
    stays the same, it never changes to removeable media.

    Because it's not recognized as removeable, the icon / mapping to E: doesn't
    go away when the device is removed, and the autoplay feature doesn't work.

    What I would like to be able to do is correct it so that the drive is
    recognized appropriately, and that it opens whenever it is detected.

    Any help would as always be greatly appreciated.

    --
    JE

    Guest, Feb 8, 2005

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:21:02 -0800, je7383 <>
    wrote:

    >I have a client running Windows XP SP1 who, could not see a USB compact flash
    >reader, or so they thought.
    >
    >Upon closer examination I determined that Drive E: appears as a network
    >drive in My Computer with a type of Disconnected Network Drive. I tried to
    >disconnect drive E:, but was unable to.

    I'm not sure I understand what yer sayin'. What do you mean you tried
    to 'disconnect'. It should be either disconnected...or not.

    Did you get an icon on the taskbar to 'safely remove hardware'?

    >I also found that when I attached the reader, I was able to access it's
    >contents through the disconnected network drive entry, but the type and
    >description didn't change. I was able to change the description, but the type
    >stays the same, it never changes to removeable media.

    >Because it's not recognized as removeable, the icon / mapping to E: doesn't
    >go away when the device is removed, and the autoplay feature doesn't work.

    Where is this icon you speak of?

    >What I would like to be able to do is correct it so that the drive is
    >recognized appropriately, and that it opens whenever it is detected.

    I've never seen that happen with a card reader. It simply gets
    installed as any other IDE device. When you want to access, you need
    to go to it...and click on it.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 9, 2005

    DJ Borell Guest

    I've never seen this particular scenario before, but this might help:

    Open Disk Manager. If the USB drive is showing, change the assigned drive
    letter to something other than "E". If this worked, you should now see the
    USB device as the drive letter you just assigned it. If you still cannot,
    unplug and reinsert the USB device.

    This should resolve any issue where a previously mapped network drive is
    being assigned the same drive letter as the USB drive, perhaps confusing My
    Computer. If it works, you should now be able to completely remove the
    network drive map. After a reboot, you should then be able to remap the USB
    drive letter to "E" (if you want to.)

    If it doesn't, then I guess I'm out of ideas.

    DJ Borell, Feb 9, 2005

    The icon that I'm referring to is it's representation in My Computer or
    Explorer.
    And yes, you'd think that either the drive is connected or disconnected, but
    that's not the case in this situation, there in lies my problem.

    The description in My Computer says that drive E is a disconnected network
    drive, but I can access the LOCAL card reader just by clicking on the drive E
    icon. When I create a shortcut to the drive on the desktop, everything comes
    up the way it should, i.e. it displays as a removeable drive with the correct
    icon associated with it. That is , it shows up correctly on the desktop, but
    still shows up as a disconnected network drive, with the network drive icon
    type and description, in explorer and My Computer.

    Other than displaying incorrectly in Explorer / My Computer and not
    automatically opening when inserted, everything appears the way it should. I
    can access all of the files on the drive, it shows up correctly in the Safely
    Remove Hardware dialog box, it is identified correctly when I look at the
    power tab of the root hub, and otherwise works as it should.

    It just shows the wrong description and type in My Computer / Explorer, and
    the drive does not go away when it is removed. The mapping for E: still
    appears in My Computer / Explorer as a disconnected network drive.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    JE

    Guest, Feb 9, 2005

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:25:06 -0800, je7383 <>
    wrote:

    >The icon that I'm referring to is it's representation in My Computer or
    >Explorer.
    >And yes, you'd think that either the drive is connected or disconnected, but
    >that's not the case in this situation, there in lies my problem.
    >
    >The description in My Computer says that drive E is a disconnected network
    >drive, but I can access the LOCAL card reader just by clicking on the drive E
    >icon. When I create a shortcut to the drive on the desktop, everything comes
    >up the way it should, i.e. it displays as a removeable drive with the correct
    >icon associated with it. That is , it shows up correctly on the desktop, but
    >still shows up as a disconnected network drive, with the network drive icon
    >type and description, in explorer and My Computer.

    Why is this important to you? That's simply the way Windows works
    sometimes. Its never been known to be completely accurate! lol

    >Other than displaying incorrectly in Explorer / My Computer and not
    >automatically opening when inserted, everything appears the way it should.

    You mean when inserting a card? Its not supposed to. It works
    similar to a floppy drive. All you see is the DRIVE. When you put a
    card in, you can read the card...similar to putting a floppy into a
    floppy drive.

    >can access all of the files on the drive, it shows up correctly in the Safely
    >Remove Hardware dialog box, it is identified correctly when I look at the
    >power tab of the root hub, and otherwise works as it should.

    Whoop!...there it is!!! lol

    >It just shows the wrong description and type in My Computer / Explorer, and
    >the drive does not go away when it is removed. The mapping for E: still
    >appears in My Computer / Explorer as a disconnected network drive.

    All that is that way by design.

    There is nothing wrong with your set...do not try to adjust the
    horizontal...do not try to adjust the vertical...

    lol

    Good luck.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 10, 2005
  6. Hi JE,

    Based on my test, I have reproduce the problem.

    Here is what I have done and how I fixed the situation after it.

    1. Map your the first available driver letter to a network share.

    for example, your driver letter lasts to d:, then we create a mapped driver
    E: to \\server\share

    2. Stop the original file share \\server\share

    Now, when try to access the E:, we will get a disconnected network share.

    NOTE: we do not attempted to disconnect it here.

    3. Plug in the USB flash drive.

    By default, the USB flash drive will be installed on the first available
    drive letter that is E: here.

    From Windows Explorer, you will see nothing changed or added.

    4. Type diskmgmt.msc from Start > Run and you will see the new plugged in
    USB flash disk installed as driver E: - a removable drive. But I cannot
    explorer here. You may change drive letter here to show it.

    5. Try to disconnect that E: from Windows Explorer, you will get an error.
    Something failed.
    NOTE: I have also tested that if we do the disconnect at step 2, it will
    work correctly.

    For Now, even if we restore the share or unplug the USB flash drive, the E:
    refused to be disconnected.

    What I have tried to fix it is as the following:

    a. Unplug the USB disk.
    b. Reshare the original share folder.
    c. Go to map driver from Explorer again.
    d. Create the map on E: to that \\server\share again.
    e. Now, you can disconnect this E:.
    f. Everything should be fine again.

    I believe this is an issue with disconnected network share and USB device.
    I will add it to our internal database. However, since it is not a high
    business impacted issue, a fix is not going to be released very soon. I
    will try to monitor it and update here as soon as possible.

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    --------------------

    Jeff Qiu [MSFT], Feb 10, 2005

    First, It's not important to me. It is however to a client of mine. Some
    people aren't as bright as you and like things to work as expected, and get
    shook up when they don't. I appreciate your attempt to help, but really, if
    you can't help, please don't respond.

    Thanks,

    JE

    Guest, Feb 10, 2005

    Thanks Jeff. I'll try this as soon as I get back to the client site.

    I appreciate your help.

    JE

    Guest, Feb 10, 2005

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:23:02 -0800, je7383 <>
    wrote:

    >First, It's not important to me. It is however to a client of mine. Some
    >people aren't as bright as you and like things to work as expected, and get
    >shook up when they don't. I appreciate your attempt to help, but really, if
    >you can't help, please don't respond.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >JE

    I didn't realize I was irritating you...sorry.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 11, 2005
  10. You are welcome!

    Any updates, post back.

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    --------------------

    >Thanks Jeff. I'll try this as soon as I get back to the client site.
    >
    >I appreciate your help.
    >
    >JE
    >
    >""Jeff Qiu [MSFT]"" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi JE,
    >>
    >> Based on my test, I have reproduce the problem.
    >>
    >> Here is what I have done and how I fixed the situation after it.
    >>
    >> 1. Map your the first available driver letter to a network share.
    >>
    >> for example, your driver letter lasts to d:, then we create a mapped

    driver
    >> E: to \\server\share
    >>
    >> 2. Stop the original file share \\server\share
    >>
    >> Now, when try to access the E:, we will get a disconnected network share.
    >>
    >> NOTE: we do not attempted to disconnect it here.
    >>
    >> 3. Plug in the USB flash drive.
    >>
    >> By default, the USB flash drive will be installed on the first available
    >> drive letter that is E: here.
    >>
    >> From Windows Explorer, you will see nothing changed or added.
    >>
    >> 4. Type diskmgmt.msc from Start > Run and you will see the new plugged

    in
    >> USB flash disk installed as driver E: - a removable drive. But I cannot
    >> explorer here. You may change drive letter here to show it.
    >>
    >> 5. Try to disconnect that E: from Windows Explorer, you will get an

    error.
    >> Something failed.
    >> NOTE: I have also tested that if we do the disconnect at step 2, it will
    >> work correctly.
    >>
    >> For Now, even if we restore the share or unplug the USB flash drive, the

    E:
    >> refused to be disconnected.
    >>
    >> What I have tried to fix it is as the following:
    >>
    >> a. Unplug the USB disk.
    >> b. Reshare the original share folder.
    >> c. Go to map driver from Explorer again.
    >> d. Create the map on E: to that \\server\share again.
    >> e. Now, you can disconnect this E:.
    >> f. Everything should be fine again.
    >>
    >> I believe this is an issue with disconnected network share and USB

    device.
    >> I will add it to our internal database. However, since it is not a high
    >> business impacted issue, a fix is not going to be released very soon. I
    >> will try to monitor it and update here as soon as possible.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >>
    >> Jeff Qiu
    >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >> MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    rights.

    Drive

    Jeff Qiu [MSFT], Feb 11, 2005