remotely access to my hard drive by internet

Reaction score
Hi

I have external hard drive (WMU-6000FS) connecting to my Belkin N1 by ethernet , and i'm trying to remotely access to my hard drive by internet, i have account in DDNS and i got the host name and i put the DDNS account in the router and every thing is ok, i opened port from my router for the hard drive, but the problem is when i open the hard drive from internet by using the host name (DDNS) the setup page for the hard drive is opening and i was trying to open the Storage path (\\SWAT-TEAM\Storage) from the setup page but there is no option to do that , i need your help to access Map network or any thing allow my me to access the storage path (\\SWAT-TEAM\Storage) by internet, please help.

I'm waiting for your
response

response

Last edited:
Reaction score
Greetings...
A few things...
from what I can see you're trying to access it as a SMB share... this wont be possible and isn't recommended anyway.
what you need to do is to configure it as an FTP server and configure your Belkin to port forward FTP to the hard-drive.

When finished you'll enter FTP:\\DDNSName and it should take you to the root of the hard-drive asking for a username and password.

Good luck

Reaction score
JaLing said:
Greetings...
A few things...
from what I can see you're trying to access it as a SMB share... this wont be possible and isn't recommended anyway.
what you need to do is to configure it as an FTP server and configure your Belkin to port forward FTP to the hard-drive.

When finished you'll enter FTP:\\DDNSName and it should take you to the root of the hard-drive asking for a username and password.

Good luck

Thanks, but how to configure it as an FTP server and configure your Belkin to port forward FTP to the hard-drive?? step by step please

Reaction score
Here we go....
1) Configure your External HD with a static IP (DO NOT USE DHCP)
2) The FTP is enabled by default
3) Set your security as required (for testing we miss this stage and come back when we have it working at a basic level)
4) Log out of the WMU-6000FS
5) Logon to the Belkin N1
6) Under Firewall is a tab called Virtual Servers
7) Enable the first rule and give it a description of FTP HD, inbound port 21, internal IP (HD IP Address), Private Port 21
8) Save changes and test
9) Apply security as stated in the manual or http://www.airlive.com/products/WMU-6000FS/AirLive_WMU-6000FS_Manual.pdf

Enjoy

Reaction score
JaLing said:
Here we go....
1) Configure your External HD with a static IP (DO NOT USE DHCP)
2) The FTP is enabled by default
3) Set your security as required (for testing we miss this stage and come back when we have it working at a basic level)
4) Log out of the WMU-6000FS
5) Logon to the Belkin N1
6) Under Firewall is a tab called Virtual Servers
7) Enable the first rule and give it a description of FTP HD, inbound port 21, internal IP (HD IP Address), Private Port 21
8) Save changes and test
9) Apply security as stated in the manual or http://www.airlive.com/products/WMU-6000FS/AirLive_WMU-6000FS_Manual.pdf

Enjoy

still not working, the port is 2005 for the hard drive see in attach, when i open the port 2005 from the router and connect the host name the router setup page is opening not the hard drive and when i open port 21 nothing open

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 659
  • airlive.jpg
    airlive.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Reaction score
the address your displaying is a web address (http) but we want a ftp address

try typing ftp://192.168.2.3 in internet explorer
that should give you the folder access of the drive in your local network
then try ftp://DDNSAddress in internet explorer
that should give you folder access of the drive from the outside world

please post back saying if either stage worked so we can take this further or if both work just to settle my mind

Thanks

Reaction score
JaLing said:

please post back saying if either stage worked so we can take this further or if both work just to settle my mind

Thanks

ftp://192.168.2.3 in internet explorer is not working

and ftp://DDNSAddress in internet explorer is not working

if you want i can show you my screen by skype
to go for that step by step

Reaction score
If you can wait until I finish work we'll do that... I finish in about 3 hours.

Reaction score
JaLing said:

Thanks

Goooooooooooooooooooood now its woooork thaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

But how to make secure for my FTP, i put username and
password its enough????

Last edited:

Ask a Question