Remote Desktop Sound/Audio quality

F

Fredrik Merell

I discovered that RD (Remote Desktops) ability to transfer the sound from the remote computer to the connecting computer was better than I first imagined. So now I wish to access all the music I have stored on my home computer.

Even if the remote sound is good, it's no way close to the original, it seems like all sounds are downsampled to ~56kbps or something. I have plenty bandwidth is it possible to increase the transfered soundquality?

Are there any ways to configure the Microsoft RDP Audio Driver?

Another problem when listening to music from the remote computer is the random silences? There should be atleast 30-40K/s available bandwith between the computers at all times? Is it possible to increase the buffer amount?

I found a setting in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\Terminal Server\RDP\MaxBandwidth

and I doubled that on both computers, I can't tell any differance in sound quality thou.

I'm running Windows XP Pro on both computers.

The ability to use RD to make your home computer with all your music on it into a Jukebox is great, I hope MS works more on this ability of RD. It's just great not having to bring CDs with me.

Any tips on how to increase the sound quality is welcome. Tnx.
/F

F

Fredrik Merell

I tried with diffrent settings on the MaxBandwidth and that actually did the trick, the audio transfer now consumes 20-25k/s and has excelent quality.

but tips on a way to increase the sound buffer are still welcome.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\Terminal Server\RDP\MaxBandwidth

and I doubled that on both computers, I can't tell any differance in sound quality thou.

Ask a Question