    computer. Anybody have any ideas?

    ___________________
    Aron Hubbard

    Aron Hubbard, Aug 20, 2003

  2. What is the speed of the other side of the connection? The slowest
    speed between the two links controls...

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)

    Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP), Aug 22, 2003

  3. Aron Hubbard

    Aron Hubbard Guest

    Here on my corporate lan I average anywhere from 3mb/s-9mb/s up and
    down. My remote connection is 1100kb down and 700 up. I've been able to
    succesfully run speed tests and transfer files (via FTP) at those speeds
    while remote desktop is being incredibly slow. Just doesn't make any sense.
    Today I put the resolution to 640x480, decreased to 256 colors, left sound
    at comp, didn't connect hard driver, and only used bitmap caching and still
    so slow. Then tried again without bitmap caching, still no luck.

    ___________________
    Aron Hubbard

    Aron Hubbard, Aug 23, 2003
  4. OK, next step - what is your processor load (check with Task Manager
    - Ctrl-Alt-End) when connected.. Maybe there is an errant process
    that is causing this slowdown.

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)

    Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP), Aug 25, 2003
  5. Aron Hubbard

    Guest Guest

    A few guys here have had similar problems. It is not that
    the RD client is slow, it seems to be that the windows
    events are being queued up somewhere. If I slide the
    pointer out of the window, or hover over the edge of a
    pane (cursor changes), suddenly the window or pane will
    update. Its like the client is one event behind.

    The biggest problem is when selecting menus, because you
    can't change focus, or the menu closes :(

    If I reboot the remote machine (server), it starts being
    responsive again.

    I've taken to running a task manager "always on top". It
    seems as if when it refreshes, the other windows will also
    refresh.

    Sound familiar?

    Darrin

    Guest, Sep 7, 2003
  6. Aron Hubbard

    Guest Guest

    I have the exact same problem. It is definately something the matter with remote desktop and not the speed of the workstation since it will function fine locally. Once you reboot the station, everything works normally. Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm thinking of opening a case with Microsoft support.

    Guest, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Sounds like a memory leak.... I haven't seen this with the Remote
    Desktop implementation, but your configuration/hardware may uncover a
    hidden bug that could be causing this sort of memory leak...

    Also double check the background programs you have running... These
    applications may also be stealing some of your system performance over
    time..

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows MVP - Networking & Smart Display)

    Remote Networking Technology Wiki -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Smart Display Support - http://www.smartdisplays.net

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP), Nov 27, 2003
  8. Aron Hubbard

    shin0bi272

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    possible solution

    Hey guys I had this exact same problem for the past couple of days (both pc's had good speed when at them locally but horrible connection between the two over windows remote desktop) and I fixed it.

    I came across a page that said that hackers will listen on the default port for remote desktop (3389) and if they find it open on your IP they will use it to gain access to your system. The fix they recomended was to change the port and so far (for the past hour anyway) its worked for me.

    Here is the microsoft article on how to change the port [edit]then when you want to connect you just put in your public IP followed by a colon and the new port you entered. Dont forget to forward this port thorugh your router.[/edit]

    Hope that helps you out.
    Shinobi
    >><<

    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007