    if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I do
    not format it)?
    Thank you very much for help.

    quy nguyen, Jan 5, 2008

  2. quy nguyen

    nass Guest

    "quy nguyen" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
    > such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
    > continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is not
    > workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know
    > if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I do
    > not format it)?
    > Thank you very much for help.

    The Question is did you perform the installation or not?, if you didn't and
    you just asking, yes it will erase all programs and data. You will need to
    Reinstall all the programs (extra ones) on the system.
    If you still to decide, try to select from the "Black Screen Safe Mode" and
    see if you can log in!. If you did then your Video card is malfunctioning and
    you will need to replace it or look in the event viewer for error messages.
    Tell us more if you need help, about the version of the operating system (Xp
    Home or Pro), how old the machine?.

    nass, Jan 5, 2008

  3. His first line is "Hi, My Windows XP pro is not bootable" so my guess would
    be *Pro*.

    Just.some.guy, Jan 5, 2008
  4. quy nguyen

    philo Guest

    "quy nguyen" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
    > such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
    > continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is

    not
    > workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know
    > if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I

    do
    > not format it)?
    > Thank you very much for help.

    The first option would be to perform a repair install...
    If that did not work for you...
    you can perform a new install of XP *in a seperate folder*

    DO NOT take any option to format the disk...
    and your data will still be there.

    You will have to re-install all updates
    and all your applications though.

    With data that exists in a former profile...you *might* have to take
    ownership
    to access it...but don't panic.
    If you do not take any option to format your drive...
    your data will still be there

    philo, Jan 5, 2008
  5. quy nguyen

    nass Guest

    Hmmmm.... seen it now, still need some clearance on what been done and what
    needed to be done.

    If he/She didn't perform a clean installation, we may able to correct the
    issue with the black screen, either way if the OP having trouble with
    hardware like Video card or RAM or HDD going NUTS it will surely affect the
    new installation or any Repair!.
    HTH

    nass, Jan 5, 2008
  6. "nass" <> wrote in message

    > Hmmmm.... seen it now, still need some clearance on what been done and
    > what
    > needed to be done.
    >
    > If he/She didn't perform a clean installation, we may able to correct the
    > issue with the black screen, either way if the OP having trouble with
    > hardware like Video card or RAM or HDD going NUTS it will surely affect
    > the
    > new installation or any Repair!.
    > HTH

    Sounds like you know waaaay more about computers than I do. I'm still
    learning, but have gotten a lot by reading the posts here.

    Just.some.guy, Jan 5, 2008
  7. On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 11:35:02 -0800, "quy nguyen"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option
    > such as safe mode, normal, last good configuration. Whatever I tried it
    > continued to come up the same black screen. I try to repair it but it is not
    > workable. I decide to use OS CD to install it again. I would like to know
    > if I set up over the old OS, will it erase all the programs and files ( I do
    > not format it)?
    > Thank you very much for help.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jan 5, 2008
  8. you might be able to simply
    utilize the "recovery console"
    first and run a couple disk
    utilities that might bring you
    back on line.

    if the recovery console method
    proved not to be helpful, then
    there may be an issue with faulty
    hardware.

    however, a "repair installation" with
    your cd would be the next step. a
    repair installation would replace any
    missing or corrupted system files and
    would preserve your programs. but
    if the repair install failed then again
    it might be an indication there is faulty
    hardware involved.

    further, if the repair installation was
    unsuccessful then a new install (reinstall)
    of windows may not be successful
    as well.

    however, if reinstalling a new windows
    became the ultimate objective, then
    i would install windows into a new partition
    or another disk (if a slave is available),
    thus leaving the old one/faulty o.s. as is.

    that way if you finally had a functional pc
    and could log into a functional o.s., you
    could then work on / continue to operate
    on the faulty one.

    with the above method you would incur
    a dual operating systems. however, its helpful
    to have one o.s. handy and as an emergency
    backup in case the other fails.
    --

    db ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>¸.
    ><)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

    ..

    db ´¯`·.. >, Jan 5, 2008
  9. quy nguyen

    windmap Guest

    Boot from Windows Xp cd (you may have to change Boot Sequence in BIOS to be
    able to boot from CD)
    After Loading files (this may take a while) when it says "Welcome to setup"
    Press R
    Press "1" if it ask you to Choose windows installation
    Enter Administrator Password when prompted to enter,If you dont have
    Administrator password simply press enter.
    Now you will have Prompt like this c:\windows\
    Type CHKDSK /P in the prompt and press enter.
    Once it completes Again type FIXBOOT in prompt and Reboot this should
    resolve your problem.

    windmap, Jan 6, 2008
  10. quy nguyen

    Plato Guest

    quy nguyen wrote:

    > My Windows XP pro is not bootable. It comes up to black screen with option

    Yeah it is. Your optical drive has failed. Very common.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 7, 2008