    DC Guest

    I recently received a .reg file from McAfee to resolve an issue. I backed up the registry, launched the .reg file, and got a successfully completed message. But when I look in the registry I cannot see any of the changes, even after refreshing. I tried to manually add the changes to the registry but each time I try I get a "key already exists" error. It appears as if the keys were added, but not visible, even through a search. Anyone seen anything like this before?

    Thanks,

    DC, Nov 23, 2004

  2. DC

    Dave Patrick Guest

    We're clueless without knowing what you're adding and where you're looking.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Nov 23, 2004

  3. DC

    DC Guest

    Here is an example from the file sent from McAfee:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan]
    "SkipIllegalUUELines"=dword:00000001

    It completes successfully but if I look in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
    do not see it, and if I do a search on: SkipIllegalUUELines, it comes up
    with no matches. If I try and add the dword SkipIllegalUUELines manually to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
    get the error message: The specified Value name already exists, type another
    name and try again

    Any ideas?

    DC, Nov 23, 2004
  4. DC

    Dave Patrick Guest

    It's possible it's a permissions issue. If the REG file didn't fix the issue
    then you'll probably want to get back to McAfee

    Dave Patrick, Nov 23, 2004
  5. DC

    Tom Guest

    DC wrote:
    > Here is an example from the file sent from McAfee:
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan]
    > "SkipIllegalUUELines"=dword:00000001
    >
    > It completes successfully but if I look in:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
    > do not see it, and if I do a search on: SkipIllegalUUELines, it comes up
    > with no matches. If I try and add the dword SkipIllegalUUELines manually to
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\WebShield SMTP\MailScan I
    > get the error message: The specified Value name already exists, type another
    > name and try again
    >
    > Any ideas?

    regedit /e file.reg HKEY_etc
    try it as Admin.