Registry, Antivirus, Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Windows XP Accessibility' started by DRJ, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. DRJ

    DRJ Guest

    I had AVG Antivirus&Antispyware on my computer. Last year when I was running
    the Antispyware the computer shutdown by itself? From then until now I have
    experienced a slow computer, occasional shutting down - both at varying
    rates. When it happened last year, over a month, trying to update the virus
    descriptions etc., eventually the computer shut down and would not start at
    all. I got assistance and got it into safe mode and eventually back to "just"
    working, and enough to do what I wanted to do, but as I said very slow and
    shut down of its own accord any time? Trying to work it out, just a novice by
    the way, it seemed to be something in the registry? I tried a couple of
    registry cleaners and found that the computer shut down at certain stages of
    it - it was like something knew it was coming and had a way of preventing
    being found? Recently I notice my computer being very slow, taking minutes to
    load things up and to switch between programs etc. I checked the Windows Task
    manager, which I have done over the last year to find many programs "Not
    Responding", and found that the CPU usage was at 100% a lot of the time. I
    googled it and found it might have been a registry issue which I have tried
    again to sort with registry cleaners/checkers etc for the past week, but now
    sending these questions in the hope someone can help me? I have read up some
    things on the discussion groups and want to make sure of what I am doing
    before doing anything with the registry? If the above descriptions sounds
    familiar to anyone can you please give me some advice.

    DRJ, Jan 17, 2008

  2. DRJ

    Andrew E. Guest

    The CPU may be at 100% due to amount of running services,uninstall what
    isnt required.Also,CPU quality can have a factor (upgrade),also ram memory
    may be at min.,increase ram.

    Andrew E., Jan 17, 2008

  3. DRJ

    derek wilkie Guest

    Regarding the issue with AVG, I have WindowsXP pro edition, and I had a lot
    of problems with this antivirus software, I basically stick with Norton, no
    problems with their software, maybe others have had no problems?

    derek wilkie, Apr 8, 2008
  4. DRJ

    derek wilkie Guest

    Thank you to all, I removed AVG from the hard drive and installed Norton, No
    problems now.

    derek wilkie, Jun 3, 2009
  5. DRJ

    David B. Guest

    Not the solution I would have recommended, but good luck with norton.

    David B., Jun 4, 2009